Our favorite peanut butter cookies recipe gets a face lift with the helps of some brown butter. With a rich nutty flavor, these easy to make cookies will be the star of the show!
What’s in this Brown Butter Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe?
Peanut butter cookies might be one of my favorite classic cookie recipes, but let me tell you, when you make them with brown butter something amazing happens!
- Browned Butter: Has a wonderful nutty and toasty flavor with more of a depth of flavor, that compliments the peanuts so well. Using salted butter instead of unsalted enhances the peanutty flavor.
- Granulated Sugar: Adds sweetness to the cookies.
- Creamy Peanut Butter: Gives these cookies their peanutty flavor. If you like chunky peanut butter cookies, feel free to use chunky peanut butter.
- Egg: Gives these cookies structure.
- Vanilla Extract: Adds a warm flavor that perfectly complements the peanut butter and brown sugar.
- All-Purpose Flour: Forms the base of these cookies and gives them structure.
- Leavening: Baking powder and baking soda ensure that these cookies will not be too dense!
Pro Tip: If you don’t want your cookies to spread as much, roll the dough into balls and press them down with a fork, then freeze them for 30 minutes before baking.
Variations on Gooey Peanut Butter Cookies
These brown butter peanut butter cookies are so decadent! But you can make them even more delicious by adding milk, semisweet, dark, or white chocolate chips.
You could also add peanut butter chips to enhance the peanut butter flavor even more! Stir in some chopped peanuts or use crunchy peanut butter for a chunkier cookie.
Once your cookies have fully cooled, store them in an airtight container. They will keep well at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Be sure to make extra, because these freeze really well. Store in a ziplock bag or container for up to 1 month. Thaw them at room temperature in the container that they were frozen in.
Peanut butter makes these cookies very dense, so as well as looking pretty, the cookies are flattened to ensure even baking.
This is a really important step to making the best peanut butter cookies. The peanut butter, eggs and butter contain fat, so if not chilled, the fats will cook too quickly and your cookies will spread all over your baking sheet.
How to Store
Store leftover brown butter peanut butter cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to Freeze
Freeze brown butter peanut butter cookies in an airtight container or Ziplock bag for up to 1 month.
Serve these peanut butter cookies with a fat scoop of vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce for the ultimate dessert. Or try sandwiching two with some peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, or nutella!
Brown Butter Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- 6 tablespoons salted butter 85 grams, sliced (¾ stick)
- ½ cup granulated sugar 100 grams
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter 135 grams
- 1 large egg 50 grams
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 4 grams
- ½ cup all-purpose flour 60 grams
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder 1 gram
- Kitchen Scale (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the slices of butter in a saucepan set over medium heat.6 tablespoons salted butter
- Allow to melt and then constantly stir until bubbling and brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat as soon as it browns and transfer it to a small bowl. Allow the butter to come to room temperature (it will solidify slightly).
- Once the butter has cooled, add it to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add in the sugar and beat until it is well combined.½ cup granulated sugar
- Add in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla and mix to combine.½ cup creamy peanut butter, 1 large egg, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whisk together the flour and baking soda and powder in another small mixing bowl, then beat into the butter mixture on low speed.½ cup all-purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Transfer the dough to the fridge to chill for exactly 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, scoop out the dough and shape into 1-inch balls.
- Using a fork, flatten the cookies and make a crosswise pattern. Make sure to place the cookies at least 2-3 inches apart on the baking sheet because they spread!
- Bake until the edges begin to turn golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- These are big peanut butter cookies that are crisp on the outside and slightly chewy in the center– everything you want in a cookie!
- If you don’t want your cookies to spread as much, roll the dough into balls and press them down with a fork, then freeze them for 30 minutes before baking.
- The cookies will be soft straight from the oven and will crisp as they cool.
Leave a Review