Do you like the texture of a chocolate cake, but don’t want the frosting? If so, these cakey brownies are going to knock your socks off.
I’m one of those weird people that loves chocolate cake, but I could do without all the frosting that goes on it. If you are like me, these cakey brownies are just for you! While they are still moist, you can expect to have a more fluffy, cake-like brownie rather than a fudgy or chewy brownie.
Why you’ll Love this Homemade Brownies Recipe
- Homemade is always better. These brownies are completely made from scratch which means you’ll have a more chocolatey flavor than making them from a box.
- Simple ingredients. You probably already have all the ingredients at home. But, if you don’t, you can easily grab them on your weekly trip to the grocery store.
- Super chocolatey. If you have a sweet tooth like me, these brownies come out super chocolatey.
How to Make Cakey Brownies From Scratch
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place your butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, and heat until melted in 30-second intervals.
- Whisk the sugar into your melted butter and chocolate, and then set aside to cool.
- Add eggs and whisk well until batter thickens.
- Add coffee and vanilla and mix for for 1-2 minutes, until combined.
- Whisk in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- Fold in nuts or chocolate chips, if using, then transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is dry, then remove to cool completely.
What Are Cakey Brownies?
Cakey brownies are brownies that have more of a cake-like texture to them. You get cakey brownies by aerating your batter.
Ultimately, a cakey brownie is when you whisk your batter more than necessary creating air in your batter. This air creates a fluffy and cake-like interior to your brownies.
Why Do I Need Coffee?
This recipe calls for coffee…sounds weird right?! Well, coffee actually enhances the flavor of the chocolate you are using.
For this recipe, it deepens that rich chocolatey flavor you want from your delicious brownies.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Whisk more. To make sure you get that cakey texture, don’t skimp on the whisking. Whisk as much as the recipe calls for.
- Add more chocolate chips. If you want these cakey brownies to be even sweeter, use more chocolate chips than the recipe calls for. Or, use milk chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate chips.
- Don’t use baking soda. This recipe calls for baking powder! Don’t get the two confused or your brownies won’t come out right.
These delicious cake-like brownies make the perfect afternoon snack or after dinner dessert. If you have a potluck to go to, you can always whip these up to bring with you. Everyone will love them, and you’ll be lucky to have any leftovers!
More Chocolate Recipes We Love
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Cakey Brownies Recipe
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tablespoons hot coffee
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips or chopped nuts optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place butter and chocolate chips in a heatproof glass bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each blast of heat, until smooth. Add sugar and whisk well, then set aside to cool.6 ounces dark chocolate chips or chunks, 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 cup granulated sugar
- Add eggs and whisk well until batter thickens.2 eggs
- Add coffee and vanilla and mix for for 1-2 minutes, until combined.2 tablespoons hot coffee, 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Whisk in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until well combined.¾ cup all-purpose flour, ¼ cup cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Fold in nuts or chocolate chips, if using.½ cup chocolate chips or chopped nuts
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until top is dry, then remove to cool completely.