This carrot bread recipe is out of this world! It’s so simple to make, plus it’s delicious. Loaded with carrots, cinnamon and nutmeg, then topped with a cream cheese glaze, this carrot cake loaf will put a smile on everyone’s face!
Carrot Cake Loaf
Carrot bread is an all-time favorite quick bread recipe. It’s moist and flavorful, with a hint of sweetness.
Even better, it’s so easy to make! Just mix the ingredients together and bake. Cinnamon and nutmeg give that warm spiced taste to this cake loaf. Then it’s topped with an amazing cream cheese glaze.
It’s the perfect thing to serve for Easter or any holiday.
Why You’ll Love this Carrot Bread Recipe:
- Easy: Prep time is quick, then let the oven do the rest! You’ll have fresh homemade bread ready in less than 2 hours.
- Moist: This carrot cake loaf is perfectly moist–no dry, crumbly bread here! Carrots, milk, and yogurt all help to add a lot of moisture.
- Flavorful: It has just the right amount of sweetness! The carrots add a lovely flavor and natural sweetness, while the walnuts add a touch of crunch.
How to Make Carrot Bread
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Whisk wet ingredients together, then stir in the brown sugar.
- In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Place shredded carrots in another bowl, and mix in some of the dry ingredient mixture. This helps separate the carrots, so they don’t all stick together when mixed into the batter.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, then fold in the carrots.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake. Let it cool before icing.
- Mix ingredients to make the cream cheese glaze, and top the cooled loaf.
- Slice and serve room temp or warmed.
Carrot Bread Ingredient Notes
- Milk: Whole milk adds a lot of richness and moisture, but you can use your favorite kind of dairy or non-dairy milk.
- Oil: Vegetable oil adds richness and creates moist carrot bread. Instead of vegetable oil, you can also use an equal amount of melted coconut oil.
- Yogurt: Greek yogurt keeps the loaf light and airy and adds a bit of tang and moisture.
- Eggs: Binds everything together.
- Vanilla: Pure vanilla extract enhances the sweetness and adds wonderful flavor.
- Sugar: Brown sugar sweetens this carrot bread. Use either light or dark brown sugar.
- Flour: All-purpose flour adds structure.
- Baking Soda: Helps the loaf rise.
- Spices: Cinnamon and nutmeg add warmth and that classic carrot cake flavor.
- Carrots: Freshly shredded carrots are best! Squeeze any excess moisture from them before using. Pre-shredded carrots have a tendency to dry out.
You can tell this bread is done baking when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry or with moist crumbs. The internal temperature of properly baked carrot bread is 190°F.
Yes. Double all ingredients and bake in a 9×13-inch pan, or two separate pans. Bake time will be shorter if using one pan, so keep an eye on it while it bakes.
For best results, I recommend using freshly shredded carrots. Squeeze out any excess moisture before adding to the batter.
Carrot bread is perfect for breakfast, a snack, or even dessert. And it freezes well, so you can always have a slice on hand. If you’ve never tried this wonderful baked good before, give it a try!
If you’re looking for a dessert that’s sure to please, you’ll love carrot cake loaf!
Store glazed or unglazed carrot bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Like most quick breads, this carrot bread freezes beautifully! It’s best to freeze unglazed carrot bread and glaze it when you’re ready to serve. Tightly wrap individual slices or the entire loaf in plastic wrap, place in an airtight container, and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw and top with cream cheese glaze before serving.
Carrot Bread Variations
Instead of all carrots, try using shredded apple, zucchini, or a combination of all 3. Keep total shredded add-ins to 2 cups. For a little crunch, add up to 1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans. And for a little something extra, mix a pinch of ground cinnamon into the cream cheese glaze!
This carrot cake bread recipe is always a hit, especially around Easter time. Bake up a loaf, serve with or without the glaze, and enjoy!
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Carrot Bread Recipe
For the Carrot Bread
- ½ cup whole milk 114 grams
- ¼ cup vegetable oil 50 grams
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt 57 grams
- 3 large eggs 150 grams
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 4 grams
- 1 cup brown sugar 213 grams
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 240 grams
- 2 teaspoons baking soda 12 grams
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon 5 grams
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded carrots 180 grams (from about 3 carrots)
For the Cream Cheese Glaze
- 3 ounces cream cheese 85 grams, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter 14 grams, room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar 57 grams
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract 2 grams
For the Carrot Bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk, oil, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla together. Once smooth, add the brown sugar and stir to combine.½ cup whole milk, ¼ cup vegetable oil, ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt, 3 large eggs, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 1 cup brown sugar
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg together.2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place the shredded carrots in a small bowl. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the dry mix over the carrots – this ensures the carrots distribute evenly throughout the loaf.2 cups shredded carrots
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Gently fold in the shredded carrots.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then carefully transfer it to a wire rack and let cool completely.
For the Cream Cheese Glaze
- Once the carrot bread is cool, mix the softened cream cheese and butter together in a microwave safe bowl. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla.3 ounces cream cheese, 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, ½ cup powdered sugar, ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Microwave the glaze for 30 seconds. Stir well.
- Pour it over the cooled carrot loaf and enjoy.
- Instead of all carrots, try using shredded apple, zucchini, or a combination of all 3. Keep total shredded add-ins to 2 cups.
- For a little crunch, add up to 1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans.
- For a little something extra, mix a pinch of ground cinnamon into the cream cheese glaze!