Chocolate Crunch Bar Cookies are rich with chocolatey flavor and made crunchy by the addition of puffed rice. Soft, perfectly baked cookies are made even more delicious by that satisfying crunch!
Easy Crunch Bar Cookie Recipe
If you’re a lover of the candy Crunch Bars, you’re going to obsess over these crunchy chocolate cookies! With the simple addition of puffed rice, these cookies are sure to remind you of that classic candy bar.
They’re also wonderfully rich with chocolate flavor from ingredients like chocolate chips and cocoa powder. Between the chocolatey goodness and the crunchy puffed rice, these cookies are downright drool-worthy!
Make a batch for your next Christmas cookie exchange, to hand out to neighbors, or just because you want to snack on something homemade and delicious. No matter the occasion, these crunchy chocolate delights will never disappoint!
Why You’ll Love this Chocolate Crunch Cookies Recipe:
- Easy: Homemade doesn’t mean difficult! This cookie recipe is fairly hassle-free and yields perfect cookies in under an hour.
- Crunchy: After you try these cookies, you’ll be obsessed with the delicate crunch in every bite. It’s quite the satisfying surprise!
- Homemade: These homemade cookies are far better than anything you’ll find at the grocery store. Both the flavor and texture of these perfectly baked cookies will make you swoon.
How to make Homemade Chocolate Crunch Bar Cookies
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Start by whisking together the melted butter and sugar.
- Whisk in the egg and vanilla.
- Add the flour, cocoa, and baking soda.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and puffed rice.
- Chill the dough.
- Preheat the oven and prepare a baking sheet.
- Scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet.
- Cool on the baking sheet.
Chilling the dough prior to baking helps prevent the dough from spreading as it bakes. You only need about 30 minutes in the fridge for the dough to get nice and sturdy!
It’s just the simple addition of puffed rice! This inexpensive ingredient is all you need to make these cookies nice and crunchy.
If your cookies are hard, that likely means the dough was beaten too much. Remember, you want to mix everything until just combined, then gently fold in the chocolate chips and puffed rice.
Yes! Hershey Bars are a pretty good substitute for chocolate chips, so long as they’re chopped into smaller pieces to replicate the size of chocolate chips.
Be sure to top off these crunchy chocolate cookies with a light sprinkle of flaky sea salt when they’re drying for a real treat. You can definitely skip this optional topping if you’d like, but I personally love the combo of salty and sweet!
Perfectly crunchy edges, soft middles, and rich chocolate flavor all accompany that delicate crunch so perfectly. A warning – these cookies are seriously addictive! You really can’t have just one… I dare you to try!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Use a cookie dough scoop to make sure every cookie is the same size. This will help make sure they all bake evenly, and they’ll all be picture perfect.
- When it comes to vanilla extract, always try to make sure you’re getting pure extract, not an imitation. Pure extract has the best flavor.
- These cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container for up to one week.
More Chocolate Recipes
Crunchy, chocolatey, and baked to absolute soft perfection. These cookies are a real dream come true for anyone who loves Crunch Bars!
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Crunch Bar Cookies Recipe
- 10 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup puffed rice
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and granulated sugar until well combined.10 tablespoons butter, 1 cup granulated sugar
- Whisk in the egg and vanilla and stir to combine.1 large egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda and stir until no large lumps remain.1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, ¼ cup cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips and puffed rice– you don’t want to smush the rice.¼ cup chocolate chips, ½ cup puffed rice
- Transfer the dough to the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- While it is cooling, preheat the oven to 350F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats.
- Scoop two-tablespoon sized cookie dough balls onto the baking sheets about 2” apart. Bake until the cookies are set around the edges, but still slightly soft in the center– about 12 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet– they will set as they cool. Then, transfer the cooled cookies to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to one week.