Sweet cinnamon rolls are the perfect snack or breakfast treat. Learn how to make them from scratch with this recipe for Homemade Cinnamon Rolls.
Best Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
When was the last time you had fresh, warm Homemade Cinnamon Rolls? If you have never had the homemade version, you are missing out. Try this recipe to see how simple it is to make this sweet dessert from scratch.
You may wonder what makes this recipe the best of all time. Not only is this recipe easy to follow, even if you are a beginner at baking, but it is also the kind of recipe you can make with simple ingredients.
If you have yeast, sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, and a handful of other ingredients, you will have everything you need to make these delicious Homemade Cinnamon Rolls.
Why you'll love this Homemade Cinnamon Rolls recipe
- Easy - It is easier to prepare than you might think. Once you try these fresh Homemade Cinnamon Rolls made from scratch, you will never want to go back to buying pre-made ones again.
- Customizable - You can customize the glaze for the Homemade Cinnamon Rolls to your liking, adding extracts and other ingredients if you would like, such as cocoa powder.
- Freezer friendly - You can freeze these sweet treats, defrost them, and reheat them when you want to have hot, fresh cinnamon rolls.
How to make Cinnamon Rolls from Scratch
**This is an abbreviated list. Be sure to see the recipe card below for full instructions and details.
- Combine yeast with warm water.
- Add the rest of the sugar, salt, and butter and then knead into a ball.
- Let the dough rise.
- Knead the dough.
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Roll the dough and shape it into a rectangle.
- Brush with cinnamon and sugar.
- Roll the dough into eight 1 ½ inch width pieces.
- Place them in a baking pan and lightly brush them with egg wash.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes.
- To make the cream cheese icing: combine softened cream cheese, softened butter, milk, vanilla, powdered sugar, and cinnamon until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Top your cinnamon rolls with the cream cheese frosting.
How Many Cinnamon Rolls Does This Recipe Make?
When following this recipe, you will have eight Homemade Cinnamon Rolls available to eat and serve to loved ones.
Can You Freeze Cinnamon Rolls?
You can freeze cinnamon rolls to keep them fresh. You can freeze them for up to six weeks before defrosting them in the refrigerator and heating them to eat them warm.
Can you add toppings to your cinnamon rolls?
Yes, you can! After you add the cream cheese frosting, feel free to add nuts, raisins, sprinkles or even some powdered sugar.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Use enough flour on a flat surface when kneading your dough to keep the dough from constantly getting stuck to the surface.
- Add as much cinnamon as you would like to your cinnamon rolls. If you like them extra sweet, you may want to add a bit of extra sugar and cinnamon.
- Nuts and raisins are optional, but they add more texture and flavor to these rolls, so they are worth adding into your dough.
Cinnamon rolls may seem intimidating, but once you try them you will realize they are easy! These homemade cinnamon rolls are great to make for breakfast and even make a delicious dessert treat.
More breakfast recipes we love
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
For the Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 pkg yeast 2 ¼ tsp
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 3 cups flour plus ¼ cup for kneading
- Egg for wash
For the Filling:
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
For the Glaze/Frosting:
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- 2 tsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup chopped nuts
To prepare the dough:
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast with the warm water, and ¼ cup of the sugar. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Once the yeast has bloomed, transfer to a large bowl, and add the remaining sugar with the salt, and melted butter. Stir to combine. Using a fork, slowly stir in the flour to the mixture, gently kneading the dough, until well combined and it forms into a ball of dough. Gently place the dough onto a lightly floured board. Cover and let the dough rest and rise, in a warm area, for 30 minutes before kneading.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth and can be formed into a clean ball shape.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll and shape the dough into a rectangle, about ¼ inch in thickness. The dough should be about 12 inches wide, and 16 -18 inches long. Brush the top with melted butter and sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon on top. Add in the raisins and/or nuts if desired.
- Roll the dough, starting at the longest edge, and then cut into eight 1 ½ inch width pieces. Place them close together in a greased baking pan, cut side down. Leave them untouched for about 30-60 minutes until they rise.
- Before placing them in the oven, lightly brush them with the egg wash.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 25-28 minutes. Once they are golden brown, remove from the oven, allow to slightly cool before topping with any glaze or frosting. Top with raisins and chopped nuts if using.
To make the cream cheese glaze:
- In a medium bowl, or using a stand mixer, combine ingredients, whisking until the frosting is smooth and creamy. For thicker frosting, add an additional cup of powdered sugar. Brush on the top of rolls while warm. Serve warm.