Combine the flavor of lemon with fresh blackberries to create a flavorful Lemon Blackberry Cake. You can cover it with a light homemade frosting and add fruit on top to complete this delicious dessert.
Lemon Blackberry Layer Cake Recipe
Prepare a refreshing, light dessert made from scratch using this Lemon Blackberry Cake recipe. The recipe isn’t hard to follow, but it’s also fun to make.
Not only will you prepare the cake from scratch, but you’ll also make a sweet and flavorful frosting to spread on top of it.
Why you’ll love this Lemon Blackberry Cake recipe
- Great flavor combo. These flavors taste great when combined together.
- Easy scratch cake. You’re making a delicious cake from scratch using fresh ingredients.
- Family friendly. Not only will you love this recipe, but so will the rest of the family. It’s the perfect summer treat.
How to make Lemon Blackberry Cake
- Set your oven to 350 degrees F and prepare three 9” pans and spray them with non-stick cooking spray.
- Grab one bowl and add flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and pudding mix into it.
- Grab a separate bowl and combine wet ingredients, including the water, vegetable oil, eggs, sour cream, and lemon juice.
- After combining the wet ingredients, toss the dry ingredients into the bowl and mix everything together.
- Divide the batter evenly by pouring it into three separate pans.
- Place your pans in the oven and bake for up to 20 minutes.
- Set your cakes off to the side to cool and begin preparing the frosting.
- Use the whisk attachment to mix the ingredients for up to four minutes.
- After your cakes cool down, add layers of frosting between the cakes and then top the cake with the rest of the frosting.
- Add blueberries and lemon slices on top for a finishing touch.
What gives this cake its lemon flavor?
The cake gets its lemon flavor from both the lemon pudding and lemon juice added to the cake mixture while you’re preparing it.
Can I use different berries?
If you don’t like blackberries or are unable to get them at the store, you can use different berries. Some of the other berries that will taste good with the lemon flavor include blueberries and raspberries.
How do I store leftovers?
Put your cake in an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. If you have a cake storage container, it’s a good time to use it. You can keep the cake fresh for up to five days when you store it properly.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Decorate your cake with blackberries and lemon slices to go with the Lemon Blackberry Cake flavor and theme.
- Use a toothpick to check the center of the cake to make sure it’s cooked all the way through before removing the cake from the oven.
- Let your cakes cool before removing them from the pan. If you try to remove them too soon, the cake might start falling apart.
This moist lemon blackberry cake is bursting with flavor. It’s easy to prepare and perfect for sharing.
More easy cake recipes we love
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Angel Food Cake
- Red Velvet Cake with Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- No Bake Circus Cheesecake
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Lemon Blackberry Layer Cake Recipe
For the Lemon cake:
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 3.4 oz Package lemon pudding
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
For the Blackberry cream cheese frosting:
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 16 Tbs 2 sticks butter, room temp
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prep 3-9” cake pans by spraying them with baking spray and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, pudding, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, water, vegetable oil and lemon juice. Add in the flour mixture and whisk until the flour is incorporated.
- Evenly divide batter between 3 prepped cake pans.
- Place into the preheated oven to bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Set aside to cool.
- Make the blackberry frosting by adding all of the ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer. Using a paddle or whisk attachment, beat together on high for 4 minutes.
- Once the cakes are cooled, remove from the pans. Place one cake layer on a plate or cake stand.
- Spread about ¼ c of the frosting over the cake. Top with a second layer of cake and spread more frosting on it. Top with the last cake layer. Spread the remaining frosting on the top and around the sides of the cake.
- Top with lemon slices and blackberries if you so desire. Slice and serve!