Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 12 people
This easy recipe for homemade caramel sauce is simple and delicious! You're going to love drizzling this sweet caramel sauce on apple pie, brownies, ice cream, and so much more.
- 1 cup brown sugar 213 grams
- ½ cup unsalted butter 113 grams (1 stick)
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream 57 grams
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 4 grams
Place the brown sugar, butter, and heavy whipping cream in a medium saucepan seet over medium heat.
1 cup brown sugar, ½ cup unsalted butter, ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
Stir often until it reaches a boil.
Boil until the sauce begins to thicken, about 2 minutes.
Stir in the vanilla, then remove from the heat. Transfer to a heat-proof container. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Storage: Store homemade caramel sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- If you love salted caramel, add a few pinches of sea salt to this sauce. Or, you could use salted butter instead of unsalted. Either way, you're sure to get a hint of salt in your caramel sauce.
- When you're heating up the sauce, be sure to stir often! Stirring often ensures that the ingredients will fully combine and prevents the sauce from burning.
- Use dark brown sugar to get the richest caramel flavor. If you can't find any, just combine 1 tablespoon of molasses with 1 cup of light brown sugar.
Calories: 155kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 8mg | Potassium: 32mg | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 309IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg