Pumpkin Mousse is light, fluffy, flavorful, and so easy to whip up! Serve this simple mousse as part of your Thanksgiving dessert spread or just as a sweet treat on a fall day.
Creamy Pumpkin Mousse
Creamy, dreamy, and light as a feather – this super simple pumpkin mousse is a real fall fantasy. It’s rich with fall flavor from ingredients like pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, and pumpkin puree.
The creaminess comes from luscious ingredients like vanilla pudding mix and heavy cream!
While I like to dig into this mousse with a spoon just as it is, there are plenty of other ways to enjoy it, too. You can serve it with a scoop of ice cream, in between two homemade cookies like a sandwich, or with a slice of your favorite cake.
That’s what I love about mousse – it’s delicious in so many different ways.
Why You’ll Love this Quick Pumpkin Dessert Recipe:
- Autumnal: This mousse is so deliciously fall flavored! It’s perfect for Thanksgiving or any fall potlucks you plan on attending.
- Easy: This is a no bake recipe that requires just ten minutes of prep time. It doesn’t get much easier than this!
- Creamy: Homemade mousse is delectably smooth, rich, and creamy. When it comes to a perfect consistency, it doesn’t get much better than pumpkin mousse.
How to Make Pumpkin Mousse
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Whisk the heavy cream, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Refrigerate the whipped mixture.
- Beat together the pumpkin puree, cream cheese, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Mix in the milk and heavy cream.
- Whisk in the pudding mix.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- Spoon the mousse into serving containers.
- Garnish, serve, and enjoy!
Pumpkin Mousse Ingredients & Notes
- Heavy Cream: Whips into whipped cream to lighten the texture and add richness in flavor to the mousse.
- Maple Syrup: Adds sweetness and earthiness. Be sure to use pure maple syrup, not pancake syrup.
- Vanilla: Pure vanilla extract enhances the flavor of the pumpkin and maple syrup.
- Pumpkin Puree: What makes this a pumpkin mousse! Be sure to use puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Milk: Helps the pudding mix dissolve.
- Pudding Mix: Gives the mousse substance and adds sweetness.
- Cream Cheese: Adds tanginess to help balance out the sweetness.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: Adds the classic pumpkin pie flavor!
Mousse is the reason I’ll always appreciate the French! They first created this whipped dessert that’s sweet, light, fluffy, and delicious. In old French, “mousse” actually translates to “froth,” which makes sense, as this dessert is pretty airy.
I don’t recommend making it too far ahead of time. Mousse stays fresh for just two days, so make it no more than a day before you plan on serving it.
Keep leftover pumpkin mousse in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Make sure the container is truly airtight, as any amount of outside air can create a film on the mousse.
Yes, you sure can! Just use your favorite mousse pie recipe as the base, and use this homemade recipe as the filling.
Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream and a gingersnap or all on its own. No matter how you choose to enjoy it, this pumpkin mousse won’t disappoint.
Thanksgiving is just around the corner! Make sure your dessert table is ready to go with delicious homemade treats like this decadent homemade mousse.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Make sure the temperatures of all of your ingredients are just right! The heavy cream should be cold and the cream cheese should be room temp.
- As tempting as it is to dive right in, give the mousse about 2 hours to set before you enjoy it.
- When folding the whipped cream into the pudding mixture, make sure you don’t over mix, or the consistency will end up all wrong.
Can I use homemade pumpkin puree for this mousse recipe?
Yes, you sure can! While I typically use puree from the can to save time, you can definitely roast a pie pumpkin and make the puree yourself.
What toppings go well with pumpkin mousse?
Gingersnap cookies, whipped cream, graham crackers, and more! Feel free to get a little creative with the toppings here.
Mousse is one of my favorite desserts for the consistency alone. Pumpkin mousse is one of my all time favorites for the flavor, too!
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Mousse Recipe
- Add 1.5 cups of heavy cream along with the maple syrup and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form- about 2 minutes.2 cups cold heavy cream, ¼ cup maple syrup, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Remove the mixture to a bowl and place it in the refrigerator while you make the pudding base.
- Add the pumpkin puree, cream cheese, and pumpkin pie spice to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat them together until combined.1 ½ cups pumpkin puree, 4 ounces cream cheese, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the milk and remaining ½ cup heavy cream. Mix until combined.1 cup whole milk
- Add the pudding mix and whisk on medium speed until the mixture is well combined and thickened slightly- about 2 minutes.3.4 ounces vanilla pudding mix
- Add the whipped cream and gently fold it into the pudding mixture.
- Spoon or pipe the mousse into serving containers. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Garnish with crumbled gingersnaps or graham crackers. Enjoy!
- Storage: Store any leftover mousse in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.