Homemade Chocolate Rice Krispies are chewy, crunchy, and packed with delicious chocolate! Make a batch of these easy, no bake bars today.
Double Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat Recipe
Everyone loves a good no bake recipe – they’re always so simple! These chocolate Rice Krispie bars aren’t just easy to make, but they’re positively mouthwatering, too.
Rice Krispies are a favorite childhood treat of mine, and this homemade double chocolate recipe really brings them to a whole new level of delicious.
Made with lots of chocolate, gooey marshmallows and crunchy Rice Krispies, it’s impossible to not fall in love with every bite of these homemade bars!
Why you’ll love this Chocolate Rice Krispies recipe
- Simple: These treats are made with just 4 simple and inexpensive ingredients. Plus, the steps really couldn’t be easier to follow! No bake recipes are the BEST!
- Childhood classic: I love handing these bars to neighbors and friends, because everyone’s faces always light up. After all, who didn’t love Rice Krispie bars as a kid?!
- Chocolate: This is a chocolate lover’s dream dessert. These bars aren’t just made with melted chocolate, they’re also topped with chocolate chips!
How to make Double Chocolate Rice Krispies
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter and stir.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Stir in the Rice Krispies.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Prepare a baking pan.
- Pour the Rice Krispie mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle more chocolate chips on top.
- Cool the treats for 30 minutes.
- Cut into squares.
- Serve, and enjoy!
**Be sure to see the recipe card below for full instructions and details.
How can I make the flavor even richer?
The easiest way to create a deeper, richer flavor with these Rice Krispie treats is to brown the butter at the very beginning.
You can also sprinkle just a pinch of espresso powder into the marshmallow and butter mixture to make the flavor super dark! Of course, opting to use dark chocolate instead of semi sweet is always a safe bet too.
How long will they stay fresh?
In an airtight container at room temperature, these treats should stay fresh for up to a week! I’ve found that the best way of storing them is by wrapping the bars individually in plastic wrap.
In the same container in the refrigerator, these bars will stay fresh for about 2 weeks.
Can I freeze chocolate Rice Krispies?
Yes! These treats will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To ensure they don’t dry out or get freezer burn, I recommend wrapping them in plastic wrap or wax paper, then placing them in a Zip-Loc baggie.
When you’re ready to eat one, just let it thaw out at room temperature for a couple hours. It’ll be good as new!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- When you add the marshmallows to the butter, stir continuously! This will prevent the marshmallows from clumping together or getting stuck to the pan and burning.
- Want to get more creative? Instead of placing more chocolate chips on top of the bars, try using M&M’s or chocolate shavings!
- If you’re using wax paper to prepare your baking pan, consider letting about an inch of the paper hang out of the sides of the pan. That way, when the treats are ready to be cut into squares, you can lift them out of the pan and not have to worry about leaving knife marks.
More Chocolate Recipes to try
Taking a bite out of these homemade chocolate Rice Krispie bars is a really unforgettable experience. Between the melted marshmallows and chocolate, this simple dessert is sure to make you smile!
More no bake recipes we love
- Strawberry Chocolate Hot Cocoa Bombs
- Lucky Charms Treats
- No Bake Lemon Cheesecake
- Salted Caramel No Bake Cheesecake
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows**
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat, stirring continuously. Once it’s melted, add in the marshmallows and continue stirring until they have completely melted with the butter. Remove from stove top.
- Stir in the rice krispies and stir until they are evenly coated with the melted marshmallow and butter, stir in the chocolate chips and stir to combine with the krispi mixture. Continue stirring until the chips have completely melted into the cereal and marshmallows.
- Line a 9×13 baking pan with wax paper, or coat with butter. Use a lightly sprayed rubber spatula, and pour the krispi mixture into the pan. Use the back of a spatula or a piece of wax paper over the treats, and press into the pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top if desired. Allow the treats to cool, and the marshmallows to set, about 30 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.