Celebrate the 4th of July with this adorable Patriotic Puppy Chow! It's red, white, blue, and totally delicious. You only need about 10 minutes of your time to make the perfect snack this Independence Day!
Red White & Blue Puppy Chow Recipe
I absolutely love the Fourth of July! It's the day designated to celebrate freedom, fireworks, and all things American. So, why not celebrate it deliciously with this picturesque patriotic puppy chow? It's so photogenic, you simply HAVE to post about it on social media!
And don't worry, it's not just a cute snack. It's salty, sweet, and mouthwateringly delicious! If you've ever had puppy chow before, you already know how good this stuff is. Peanut butter, chocolate chips, salted butter and powdered sugar are just a few of the stand-out ingredients at play here.
When serving this snack mix at your 4th of July block party, be sure to present it with some festive baggies or cups. That way, people can just scoop out however much they want into their own little container instead of everyone dipping their hands into the puppy chow whenever they want a bite - which will be often!
Why you'll love this 4th of July Snack Mix recipe
- Cute: I love all the holidays, because they give me an excuse to go all out with my desserts! This themed snack mix is fun to eat and to make.
- Salty and sweet: As far as flavor combos go, it's hard to beat salty and sweet. The salted butter and peanuts go SO well with the powdered sugar and chocolate!
- Easy: Puppy chow takes about 10 minutes and very little effort to make. If it's the day of the party and you forgot to make something, this is a great last minute easy recipe.
How to make Patriotic Puppy Chow for Memorial Day or 4th of July
**This is an abbreviated list. Be sure to see the recipe card below for full instructions and details.
- Place the Chex Mix and peanuts in a bowl.
- In the microwave, melt the white chocolate chips, peanut butter, and salted butter in increments.
- Toss the melted ingredients with the Chex Mix and peanuts.
- Transfer the mixture to a Ziplock bag and add the powdered sugar.
- Shake everything together until the powdered sugar thoroughly coats the entire mix.
- Remove the mix from the bag and place it in a bowl.
- Add in the additional ingredients, stir, and serve!
How long will patriotic puppy chow stay fresh?
In an airtight container in the fridge, this snack mix will last for up to 2 weeks! While this is an easy recipe to make right before a party, it's also w wonderful make-ahead recipe as it really stays fresh for so long.
How much powdered sugar is too much?
Honestly, there's no rule to how much powdered sugar goes into your puppy chow. While this recipe calls for 1 cup, you may need more than that as you toss your ingredients in the bag.
You really want to make sure you have enough powdered sugar to cover every single piece of this mix, so don't be afraid to add a little more as you go. The more sugar, the better, right?!
What other 4th of July recipes should I try?
While this patriotic puppy chow is adorable, it shouldn't be the main dessert of your party! Snack mix is a fun gran and go snack, but it's not intended to serve as the star of the show.
If you really want to wow people, serve this puppy chow at the same party as a 4th of July Cake. Between those two treats, your party guests will really feel patriotic!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- To make this chow more sweet and less salty, use unsalted butter instead of salted.
- Do NOT overcook the microwaved ingredients! If it's too hot, it will burn and not taste right. Additionally, it could melt and scald the Chex Mix, ruining the entire consistency of the mix.
- If you find any other cute red white and blue stuff to toss into the mix, go for it! This recipe is super versatile.
Watch the fireworks this year with a sweet and salty serving of patriotic puppy chow!
More snack mix recipes we love
- Easter Bunny Bait Snack Mix
- Reindeer Food Snack Mix
- Salted Caramel Puppy Chow Snack Mix
- Candied Corn Puffs Snack Mix
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Red White and Blue Patriotic Puppy Chow Recipe
- 3 ½ cups rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup roasted salted peanuts
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup ½ stick salted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup blue white, and red M&Ms
- 1 cup white chocolate covered pretzels left whole or roughly chopped
- ½ cup patriotic sprinkles
- Place Chex mix and roasted salted peanuts in a large bowl.
- In a microwavable bowl, add the white chocolate chips, smooth peanut butter, and salted butter. Microwave in increments of 15 seconds until everything is just melted and combined. Do not overcook.
- Pour microwave mixture into the large bowl with Chex mix and salted peanuts. Stir until everything is coated.
- Transfer to a large Ziploc bag and then add in the powdered sugar. Shake and toss until everything is coated and combined thoroughly. Add more powdered sugar as needed to make sure the cereal is completely covered.
- Remove from the bag and transfer to another large bowl. Add in the M&Ms, chocolate covered pretzels, and sprinkles and stir to combine.