Celebrate Independence Day with this adorable 4th of July Snack Mix! It’s red, white, blue, and totally delicious. You only need about 10 minutes of your time to make the perfect snack this Independence Day!
What’s in 4th of July Chex Mix?
I absolutely love the Fourth of July! It’s the day designated to celebrate freedom, fireworks, and all things American. So, why not celebrate it deliciously with this picturesque patriotic puppy chow? It’s so photogenic, you simply have to post about it on social media!
- Rice Chex Cereal: Crispy, crunchy, and certified gluten-free!
- Roasted, Salted Peanuts: Add a salty, nutty flavor.
- White Chocolate Chips: Melt down to help create a sticky coating for the powdered sugar to adhere to.
- Peanut Butter: Adds rich, creamy, peanut buttery flavor.
- Salted Butter: Adds richness and balances the sweetness of the sugar.
- Powdered Sugar: Coats the cereal pieces to create the ultimate sweet and crunchy snack.
- Red, White, and Blue M&M’s: Add a chocolate note and patriotic flair.
- White Chocolate Covered Pretzels: Add even more sweetness and crunch.
Pro Tip: Make this puppy chow festive and fun with some patriotic sprinkles!
Variations on Patriotic Snack Mix
To make this snack mix fully gluten-free, you’ll want to opt for gluten-free white chocolate covered pretzels. You can also swap out the peanuts and peanut butter for different nuts and nut butters if you prefer, such as cashew, almond, or sunflower seed butter.
Some different festive candies I’ve seen that would be great inclusions are red white and blue candy corn, USA gummy bears, or Hershey’s White Creme with Sprinkles Popping Candy Bars.
Honestly, there’s no rule to how much powdered sugar goes into your puppy chow. While this recipe calls for 1 cup, you may need more than that as you toss your ingredients in the bag. You really want to make sure you have enough powdered sugar to cover every single piece of this mix, so don’t be afraid to add a little more as you go. The more sugar, the better, right?!
There is no difference! There are so many names for this salty-sweet snack– puppy chow, muddy buddies, muddy munch, monkey munch, and reindeer chow are just a few common names.
Make sure you let the puppy chow cool down spread out over a baking sheet to remove any excess moisture.
How to Store
Store 4th of July snack mix in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
When serving this snack mix at your 4th of July block party, be sure to present it with some festive baggies or cups. That way, people can just scoop out however much they want into their own little container instead of everyone dipping their hands into the puppy chow whenever they want a bite – which will be often!
More Snack Mix Recipes We Love
- Easter Bunny Bait Snack Mix
- Reindeer Food Snack Mix
- Salted Caramel Puppy Chow Snack Mix
- Candied Corn Puffs Snack Mix
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Chex Mix
4th of July Snack Mix Recipe
- 3½ cups rice Chex cereal 200 grams
- 1 cup roasted, salted peanuts 142 grams
- 1 cup white chocolate chips 170 grams
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter 135 grams
- ¼ cup salted butter 57 grams (½ stick)
- 1 cup powdered sugar 113 grams
- 1 cup red, white, and blue M&M's 200 grams
- 1 cup white chocolate covered pretzels 120 grams, left whole or roughly chopped
- ½ cup patriotic sprinkles 96 grams
- Kitchen Scale (optional)
- Place Chex mix and roasted salted peanuts in a large bowl. Set aside.3½ cups rice Chex cereal, 1 cup roasted, salted peanuts
- In a microwavable bowl, add the white chocolate chips, smooth peanut butter, and salted butter. Microwave in increments of 15 seconds until everything is just melted and combined. Do not overcook.1 cup white chocolate chips, ½ cup creamy peanut butter, ¼ cup salted butter
- Pour microwave mixture into the large bowl with Chex mix and salted peanuts. Stir until everything is coated.
- Transfer to a large Ziploc bag and add in the powdered sugar. Shake and toss until everything is coated and combined thoroughly. Add more powdered sugar as needed to make sure the cereal is completely covered.1 cup powdered sugar
- Remove from the bag and transfer to another large bowl. Add in the M&Ms, chocolate covered pretzels, and sprinkles (here is what we used) and stir to combine.1 cup red, white, and blue M&M's, 1 cup white chocolate covered pretzels, ½ cup patriotic sprinkles
- Serving size: 1 cup puppy chow.
- To make this chow sweeter and less salty, use unsalted butter instead of salted.
- Do NOT overcook the microwaved ingredients! If it’s too hot, it will burn and not taste right. Additionally, it could melt and scald the Chex Mix, ruining the entire consistency of the mix.
- If you find any other cute red white and blue stuff to toss into the mix, go for it! This recipe is super versatile.