Whoever first said “simplicity is key” must have been talking about these butter cookies! Made with just 6 simple ingredients and quick, easy to follow steps, these simple and delicious cookies are sure to become a staple in your kitchen.
Easy Butter Cookie Recipe – 6 Ingredients
Don’t let the lack of extensive ingredients fool you – these easy butter cookies are seriously delicious! They’re thick, chewy cookies that have a perfectly rich and buttery flavor.
No matter why you’re making them, you’ll probably want to double up this recipe. No one is able to resist these simple, buttery, tasty cookies!
Why you’ll love this Butter Cookies recipe
- Inexpensive: With so few ingredients, you can make these butter cookies without breaking the bank.
- Classic: The best thing about classic, simple recipes is that everyone enjoys them! I haven’t met a single person who doesn’t smile when being handed a butter cookies.
- Easy: When it comes to easy cookie recipes, I think this one may take the cake. The steps are very minimal and easy – if you have kids running around the house, they could probably do most of the work!
How to make Butter Cookies
- Beat the butter and sugar together.
- Add the flour and salt, and beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Place the dough on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes in a preheated oven.
- Allow to cool fully on a wire rack before serving or storing.
**Be sure to see the recipe card below for full instructions and details.
How do I know when the cookies are done baking?
All ovens are a bit different, even when they’re set to the same temperature.
When the bottoms of your butter cookies begin to brown, they’re most likely done baking! That could happen anywhere in the 9-11 minute window. Just be sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t bake for too long!
Should I use salted or unsalted butter?
Truly, that’s entirely up to you! I’ve made these cookies using both types of butter, and each batch is delicious.
If you opt for salted butter, the cookies will have a noticeable salty element to them. But don’t worry, it’s not overpowering. If you choose unsalted butter, they will not have as salty of a taste. It all just depends on what you’d prefer!
How long will they stay fresh?
Once they’re fully cooled off from the oven, these butter cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
You can extend that time by keeping them in an airtight container in the fridge, where they’ll stay fresh for up to 5 days. The best part? These cookies are also tasty when they’re cold!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- If you want to really enhance the buttery flavor of these cookies, try adding a teaspoon or two of butter extract to your dough! You can toss it in while you’re stirring in the egg and vanilla.
- I love these cookies just the way they are. However, if you wanted to add a little something on top, a drizzle of vanilla glaze would be delicious! A light sprinkle of powdered sugar is also never a bad idea.
- To make sure every cookie is exactly the same size, use a 1-inch cookie scoop! While you could always just use your hands, cookie scoops ensure each cookie is identical in size. This means that every cookie will be picture perfect AND cook evenly!
Thick, chewy, buttery goodness in the most simplistic fashion – that’s how I’d describe these cookies! Make a big batch today and prepare to meet your new favorite easy cookie recipe. And, yes… they’re even better than what Grandma used to make!
More cookie recipes we love
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Butter Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400oF.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together.
- Add egg and vanilla. Beat again.
- Add flour and salt. Beat until smooth.
- Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, place dough on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the bottom begin to brown.
- Allow to cool and store in an air tight container. Enjoy!