Indulge in the incredible taste of this sweet and decadent Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake. It’s easy to make and the perfect combination of chocolate and cherry!
Easy Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
Do you love chocolate covered cherries? If they’re one of your favorite confections, you can expect to enjoy the delicious taste of this wholesome Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake. It’s the kind of dessert that keeps you coming back for more.
You can make the Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake for dessert to enjoy with the family at home after dinner or for special occasions, such as the holiday season. No matter when you make it, you can expect it to turn into a huge hit with your loved ones.
Why You’ll Love this Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe:
- Easy to make: It’s not difficult to prepare this delicious cheesecake from scratch while using fresh ingredients.
- Flavorful sweet treat: The flavor of the cheesecake is delicious and perfect for anyone who loves chocolate and cherries.
How to make Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Combine the Oreo cookies with the rest of the crust ingredients.
- Press into the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Prepare your cheesecake filling by combining your cream cheese with the granulated sugar and brown sugar, beating for several minutes before adding in the rest of your ingredients.
- Add the cheesecake layer to your pan, followed by the cherries on top before wrapping your pan with foil and letting it bake.
- Let it rest in the oven for an hour with the door closed and give it at least eight hours of time to chill in the fridge before slicing and serving it.
Yes, you can use a graham cracker crust for the base of this cheesecake recipe if you’d like to. You can use homemade or store bought crust.
Absolutely. If you don’t like cherries, you can replace them with other fruits, such as blueberries or strawberries.
Yes. You can use vanilla Oreo cookies or the graham cracker crust for the crust of the cheesecake. Instead of using cocoa powder or chocolate chips, you can use white chocolate throughout the recipe.
You can make mini cheesecakes by getting mini graham cracker pie crusts and using them instead of a large crust. You’d add a bit of the cheesecake filling to each crust before baking and preparing.
Once you try this Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake recipe, you can expect to fall in love with its incredible taste. Best of all, you can make it in different ways by adjusting the ingredients to your liking.
This chocolate covered cherry cheesecake makes a great addition to any holiday get together. It’s perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas and even Valentine’s Day!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- When making the cheesecake, be sure to beat the cream cheese well at the beginning to ensure that it is smooth. If, when the cheesecake batter is complete, you still have lumps, simply press them against the side of the bowl using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Do not overmix the cheesecake batter as it will add air and result in uneven baking and can cause it to crack at the end.
- Be sure to leave the cheesecake in the oven for the hour after baking to rest. This allows the cheesecake to set, thus preventing or at least lowering the chances that the cheesecake top cracks. Sometimes, cheesecakes still crack on top.
- When making the chocolate ganache, my favorite way for ease and smoothness is to use an immersion blender instead of a whisk after the heavy cream and chocolate have set long enough for the chocolate to begin to melt.
- Texture: Soft, ultra creamy, rich chocolate cheesecake is filled with a layer of tart cherries, all of which sets in a wonderfully crunchy oreo crust.
If you want to make an impressive dessert that is sure to turn into a huge hit amongst your loved ones, try this recipe. The Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake is sweet, decadent, and delicious.
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
For the Crust:
- 3 cups crushed Oreos
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter melted
For the Cheesecake:
- 32 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ⅓ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips melted
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cherries fresh or frozen/thawed
For the Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and gently spray the sides with baking spray.
For the Crust:
- To make the crust, combine the crushed Oreos and brown sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Add in the butter and stir until the mixture resembles wet sand.3 cups crushed Oreos, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 10 tablespoons butter
- Press the crust in an even layer in the bottom of the springform pan.
- Place into the oven to bake for 15 minutes. Once baked, remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool while you make the cheesecake.
For the Cheesecake:
- Add the cream cheese, granulated sugar, and brown sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat together on high-speed for 1-2 minutes or until smooth and creamy.32 oz cream cheese, 1 cup granulated sugar, ½ cup brown sugar
- Next, add in the heavy cream, melted chocolate chips, and sour cream and beat together for 1 minute.1 ⅓ cups heavy cream, 1 cup chocolate chips, ½ cup sour cream
- Beat the eggs and egg yolks in for 30 seconds to fully incorporate. Whisk in the cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla.3 eggs, 3 egg yolks, ¼ cup cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour half of the cheesecake batter into the springform pan on top of the crust. Layer the cherries in an even layer over the cheesecake batter.
- Pour the remaining cheesecake batter over the cherries and smooth out.1 cup cherries
- Wrap the bottom and up the sides of the springform pan with tin foil to prevent any water from seeping in. Place the springform pan into a larger baking pan and fill the larger baking pan with enough water to come 1 inch up the sides of the springform pan to create a water bath.
- Place both pans into the preheated oven to bake for 1 ½ hours. Once baked, turn the heat off and leave the cheesecake in the oven to rest for 1 hour with the door closed.
- Once the cheesecake has rested, remove from the oven, unwrap the tinfoil from around a springform pan, and place the pan onto a cooling rack to cool completely to room temperature.
- Cover the top of the cheesecake and place into the fridge to chill for at least 8 hours.
For the Chocolate Ganache:
- Once the cheesecake has chilled, make the ganache. Heat the heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Pour the heated heavy cream over the chocolate chips and let set for 1 minute to allow the chocolate chips to melt. Mix together until a smooth ganache has formed. Mix in the butter until fully incorporated. Pour the ganache over the top of the cheesecake in an even layer. Return to the fridge to set for 20 minutes.1 ½ cups chocolate chips, ¾ cup heavy cream, 3 tablespoons butter
- Once the ganache has chilled and set, run a butter knife around the inside edge of the springform pan to release the cheesecake. Release the springform pan and remove the side from the cheesecake.
- Place the cheesecake onto a serving platter or cake stand and slice into 12 slices.
- Storage: Store cheesecake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Freezing Instructions: For ease of serving, I like to slice the entire cheesecake into individual slices and then wrap each slice in plastic wrap really well. This makes for easy freezing and for quick serving later on.
- Oreo Crust: Instead of an Oreo cookie crust, a graham cracker crust may be used for this cheesecake recipe. Use the same amount (3 cups) of graham cracker crumbs instead of crushed Oreos.
- Sour Cream: Plain yogurt (Greek or regular) can be used in place of the sour cream.