Take a classic cheesecake and mix a bunch of delicious chocolate into it. That’s how you make this easy chocolate cheesecake recipe!
Best Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
Chocolate and cheesecake just seem to go together. This recipe is easy to follow and produces one of the best cheesecakes you’ll ever try! Once you have all your ingredients, it won’t take long before you are enjoying a fresh slice covered in berries.
Why You’ll Love this Easy Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe:
- Topping friendly. You can add fresh berries, ice cream, jam or even whipped cream to this cheesecake.
- Simple ingredients. You don’t need a bunch of exotic ingredients to make this cheesecake. I bet you even have some ingredients at home already!
- Double chocolate. The crust has chocolate as well as the cheesecake itself!
How to make classic chocolate cheesecake from scratch
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Grease your springform pan and preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Make your crust by mixing the butter and cookie crumbs and pressing it into the pan.
- Bake the crust on a baking sheet for 15 minutes and let cool.
- Make ganache by melting the cream and chocolate chips and stir until smooth.
- Beat together the cream cheese, sugar, and sour cream until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla, and then the flour.
- Add the ganache mixture and beat slowly until combined.
- Pour the batter into the crust and get rid of any air bubbles by tapping the pan on the countertop a few times.
- Bake on a baking sheet for 50-60 minutes until the center is just barely done.
- Turn off the oven, but leave the cheesecake in the oven with the oven cracked open a bit to let it cool for 1 hour, then remove and set on a rack to finish cooling.
- Garnish with whipped cream and berries and serve.
What type of Crust does this Cheesecake have?
It has a chocolate cookie crust! You could use a different type of crust if you wanted, but this chocolate cookie crust pairs nicely with the chocolate cheesecake.
Do I have to bake this Cheesecake?
Yes you do have to bake this one. The crust needs to be baked first, and then the actual cheesecake itself.
What type of pan do I need?
Like most cheesecakes, you need a springform pan. Specifically, you need a 9” springform pan. If you don’t have one, you should be able to pick one up at most stores in the aisle with other baking pans.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Make sure to get rid of the air bubbles before baking the cheesecake, or else it will not turn out right.
- Don’t forget to let the cheesecake cool for an hour in the oven before taking it out; the heat from the oven will finish cooking the cheesecake and then it will set properly as it cools.
- Put your springform pan with cheesecake on a baking sheet to keep from making a mess in your oven.
You are going to fall in love with this double chocolate cheesecake. It starts with a chocolate cookie crust and is filled with a decadent chocolate cheesecake filling. You can top it with your favorite fruit or whipped cream!
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Best Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
- 24 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 24 ounces cream cheese room temperature (3 packages)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup sour cream room temperature
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9″ springform pan.
- Place the cookies in a food processor and pulse to form fine crumbs. Add the melted butter and pulse until crumbly. Press the crumbs into the bottom and about 1 inch up the sides of the prepared pan.24 chocolate sandwich cookies, 4 tablespoons butter
- Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the cream and chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 20 second increments to ~115 degrees F. Remove from the microwave and allow to sit for 3-4 minutes, then stir gently until the mixture is smooth; set aside.1/2 cup heavy cream, 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, and sour cream at low speed, until thoroughly combined and smooth.24 ounces cream cheese, 1 cup granulated sugar, ½ cup sour cream
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, then add the eggs one at a time, beating to combine after each one. Stir in the vanilla, then the flour.4 large eggs, 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Add the ganache mixture, beating slowly and scraping the bowl once, until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the crust. Tap the pan on the countertop a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 50-60 minutes, until the center is just barely done.
- Turn off the oven, crack the door open with the handle of a wooden spoon, and allow the cake to cool in the oven for 1 hour. Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack to finish cooling. When it’s completely cool, cover the cake, and refrigerate it until ready to serve.
- Garnish the cake with whipped cream and berries and serve.