If you love to make muffins for your family, then you are going to really enjoy these Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins. They are truly so delicious!
Healthy Chocolate Oatmeal Muffin Recipe
When you need something tasty and healthy to eat for breakfast, try these Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins. You can prepare them from scratch using assorted ingredients, including old-fashioned oats, yogurt, maple syrup, and chocolate chips. Have a muffin for breakfast, pack it with your lunch, or even enjoy it as a dessert!
Muffins are the perfect breakfast treat. Not only are they good for you, but they are also great to give to your children for breakfast. These mess-free muffins taste amazing and contain numerous healthy ingredients, leaving you with the perfect breakfast treat to eat while you are on the go.
Why you’ll love this Oatmeal Chocolate Muffins recipe
- Perfect for chocolate lovers. If you enjoy the taste of chocolate, you will love these muffins because of the chocolate chips that you will add to the batter before baking them.
- Quick bake time. Once you have prepared the batter, it only takes about 18 minutes to bake these muffins in the oven.
- Topping friendly. You can eat them plain or add some of your favorite toppings to them, such as powdered sugar or maple syrup.
How to make Oatmeal Chocolate Muffins from Scratch
- Add your oats, milk, and yogurt into a mixing bowl.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F, and place your muffin liners in your muffin baking pan.
- Grab a separate bowl and combine your syrup, oil, sugar, and egg together.
- Mix in the oat mixture.
- Add your flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt, mixing well without overdoing it.
- Fold your chocolate chips into the mix and then spoon the batter into your muffin pan.
- Bake for up to 18 minutes.
What Types of Oats Do You Need?
It is best to use old-fashioned oats when you are preparing these homemade Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins from scratch.
What Chocolate Do I Need for These Muffins?
You can use your favorite chocolate for these muffins. Milk, dark, or even semi-sweet chocolate chips will taste great.
How Do I Store These Muffins?
Allow the muffins to cool before placing them in a large food storage container. Store them on the counter or place them in the fridge to keep the muffins fresh.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- When measuring ingredients for this recipe, add the yogurt to the measuring cup first to ensure that the measurement is as accurate as possible.
- Check your muffins after they have been in the oven for 15 minutes. If they are not quite ready, you can leave them in for a few more minutes.
- Let your oats sit in the milk and yogurt mixture for several minutes before adding them to the batter to get them to blend perfectly into your muffins.
If you want a quick yet delicious breakfast to eat, make these Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins. These muffins are also decadent enough that they make a great dessert. It does not take long to prepare them at all and are full of chocolate-y goodness.
More muffins we love
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Healthy Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup milk dairy or non-dairy
- ⅓ cup coconut oil melted
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine oats, yogurt and milk. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line muffin pans with liners or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together the oil, sugar, syrup, and egg. Blend in the oat mixture.
- Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until well combined, but do not over mix. Finally, fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon into muffin cups, filling about ¾ full. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- A trick for measuring the yogurt easier: Fill up your measuring with the yogurt first, to as close to ¾ cup as you can (it does not have to be exact), then pour in the milk until the total volume is 1 cup.
- You may use any type of milk you have on hand for this recipe (I used coconut milk).
- Mixing the oats with yogurt and milk first and letting it sit gives it some time for the wet ingredients to soften the oats, which allows it to incorporate into the batter better.