Enjoy the taste of light and fluffy homemade Cream Puffs with this simple, easy-to-follow recipe. These creme-filled pastries are the perfect dessert to serve anytime.
Homemade Cream Puffs recipe
Who says you have to go to France for delectable treats? When you want to make dessert for loved ones, but would prefer something other than a traditional cake, try this Easy homemade Cream Puffs Recipe. You can prepare these pastries with minimal ingredients in no time.
In fact, you only need 6 ingredients total for these cream puffs! All of the ingredients are common and you probably have most of them in your house already.
Why you’ll love this Cream Puff recipe
- They are super easy. This Homemade Cream Puffs recipe is easy to follow. You may have thought that preparing cream puffs is difficult, but this recipe proves otherwise.
- Your taste buds will love you. Stuffed with sweet cream frosting, these little pastries are sweet and fresh with every bite.
- They are great for sharing. These pastries are also great to bring with you to potlucks and other gatherings you might attend.
How to make Cream Puffs
**This is an abbreviated list. Be sure to see the recipe card below for full instructions and details.
- Add your butter and water to a medium sauce pan on medium heat. Wait until the combination reaches a boil and then add your flour to it while mixing it with a spatula for several seconds.
- Take your saucepan off the stove top and add your eggs into it. Mix your eggs into the other ingredients continuously until you have created the perfect batter.
- Spray a baking sheet or put parchment paper over it.
- Grab a spoon and begin spooning the mixture, adding a small amount of the batter to your baking sheet.
- Put your baking sheet in the oven and bake for up to 15 minutes, or until your puffs are golden brown.
- While the puffs are baking, whisk your heavy cream and then add your powdered sugar to it. Mix these ingredients gently.
- Once your cream puffs are cool, you can cut them in half, spoon some cream inside, and then put the top back on each puff.
How Many Cream Puffs Does This Recipe Make?
If you keep your cream puffs at the one inch size, you should be able to make 24 cream puffs. If you make them bigger, keep in mind that you will have less cream puffs. If you want to make more, double the recipe.
What Type of Frosting Do You Need for Cream Puffs?
With this recipe, you won’t need to get frosting because you will be making your own homemade cream filling instead. This homemade cream frosting consists of heavy cream and powdered sugar. It is light, simple, and tastes great.
However, if you prefer to buy frosting instead, you can use pre-made buttercream frosting or other types of frosting if you want.
How Do You Store Leftover Cream Puffs?
Store the puffs in a food storage container in your refrigerator, where they will stay fresh for up to three days.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Consider putting your puff mixture in a piping bag to make it easier for you to create 1-inch puffs in rows on your baking sheet.
- I used the cream filling recipe included and filled each puff with about 1 tablespoon of filling for each puff. Make sure the puffs are completely cooled before adding the filling.
- You could also put your cream frosting in a piping bag to make it easier to fill your pastries.
These cream puffs may seem intimidating, but they are really simple to make. You use basic ingredients and turn it into a decadent dessert that is perfect for sharing.
These cream puffs make a great holiday dessert and will leave everyone talking about them. Let them know that you only need 6 ingredients to make these bite sized treats and they are perfect for even beginner bakers!
More homemade dessert recipes we love
If you enjoyed this Easy Cream Puff Recipe, check out some of these other simple yet delicious dessert recipes you can prepare at home!
- Chocolate Pound Cake
- Lemon Angel Food Cake
- Red Velvet Cake Truffles
- Chocolate Filled Cream Puffs
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Pavlovas
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Homemade Cream Puffs Recipe
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 large eggs
For the Cream Filling:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the butter and water, keep on medium heat and stir until it begins to boil. Once it starts a slow boil, add in the flour, and continue to mix with a spatula or wooden spoon, until the mixture begins to pull from the sides of the saucepan. Remove from the stove top.
- Add in the eggs, stirring constantly with a fork, until they are well combined into the batter. (The batter will seem “mushy” at first. But as you stir, it will thicken up and become a more solid dough.)
- Spoon or pipe the mixture onto a lightly sprayed baking sheet, or over parchment paper. Puffs should be about 1 inch in size.
- Bake for about 13-15 minutes without opening the oven door while they are baking. Once they turn golden brown, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool.
- While the puffs are cooling, whisk the heavy cream on high until it thickens and looks like shaving cream. Fold in the powdered sugar and mix gently.
- Once the puffs have cooled, cut each cream puff in half and pipe or spoon cream filling onto the bottom slice. Replace top cover over the filling.
- This recipe should make approximately two dozen puffs, if kept at one inch in size. Serve immediately, or keep refrigerated for up to two or three days.
- The filling can also be pre-made frosting or buttercream frosting, which will make the cream puffs sweeter. I used the cream filling recipe I included, and it was enough to fill two dozen pastries. (I used about 1 Tablespoon of filling for each cream puff.)