Make an undeniably fresh and tasty Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting from scratch. You can use it as a frosting for cakes, cupcakes, and other sweet treats.
What’s in Chocolate Whipped Cream?
You will only need to have five ingredients to prepare this delicious Chocolate Whipped Cream. It is truly that easy to make.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Gives this frosting structure.
- Powdered Sugar: Sweetens the frosting without making it gritty.
- Cocoa Powder: Adds rich chocolatey flavor.
- Vanilla Extract: Enhances the sweetness of the frosting.
- Kosher Salt: Enhances the chocolate flavor of the frosting.
Pro Tip: Sift the powdered sugar through a fine-mesh sieve to prevent lumps.
Variations on Chocolate Whip Cream
Add extracts to your whipped cream if you would like to create a different taste, such as peppermint extract to create a mint chocolate frosting or almond extract for a nutty taste.
You can use any cocoa powder you prefer, as long as it is unsweetened. Use natural cocoa powder for a more natural taste, and use Dutch-process cocoa powder for a smoother taste.
Yes! This frosting contains dairy, so it needs to be kept refrigerated.
If your whipped cream is a bit too thin, simply add more powdered sugar to it. The powdered sugar will help to give it a thicker consistency that makes it easier to use on different treats.
Whipped cream frosting will last for up to 24 hours on a cake in the refrigerator, but it will start to deflate and absorb into the cake over time, so I highly recommend making it just before serving.
If you’d like this frosting to last for longer, follow my recipe for stabilized whipped cream, which involves adding pudding mix. I recommend using chocolate pudding mix for this frosting.
How to Store
Put your Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting in an airtight food storage container and leave it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Put your Chocolate Whipped Cream on some of your favorite desserts. It adds the perfect touch to vanilla cake, chocolate cake, and even cheesecake. You can put it on chocolate cupcakes, chocolate cream pie, and even chocolate pudding. It also goes great with crepes and fresh fruit for a simple, delicious dessert. I think it goes perfect on Chocolate Angel Food Cake too!
Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream 681 grams
- 1½ cups powdered sugar 170 grams
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder 42 grams
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 4 grams
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Kitchen Scale (optional)
- Stand Mixer
- Piping Tip Set (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine all of the ingredients. Begin on low speed and whisk for 1 minute.3 cups heavy whipping cream, 1½ cups powdered sugar, ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Increase mixer speed to medium and whisk for an additional 1 minute.
- Increase mixer speed to high and let mix for another 4-5 minutes, or until the whipped cream has whipped into a stiff, pipeable frosting. Pipe using piping bags or Ziplock bags.
- Use a stand mixer to make it easier for you to prepare the Chocolate Whipped Cream from scratch. If you have to mix by hand, it will take a lot longer for you to get the whipped cream to the perfect consistency.
- Sift the powdered sugar through a fine-mesh sieve to prevent lumps.
- Add extracts to your whipped cream if you would like to create a different taste.
- If your whipped cream is a bit too thin, simply add more powdered sugar to it
- To stabilize this frosting, add 1½ tablespoons of dry chocolate instant pudding mix.