Give your baked goods the perfect touch by using this Homemade Buttermilk. You’ll learn how to prepare buttermilk from scratch so you can add it to some of your favorite recipes.
Easy Homemade Buttermilk
If you enjoy baking, there is a good chance you’ve used buttermilk in plenty of your recipes. Instead of buying it at the store, learn how to easily make it at home in minutes. It’ll come in handy when you need it the most.
You might think that preparing Homemade Buttermilk is a tedious task, but it isn’t. It’s a lot easier than most people realize. So, if you’re preparing a recipe that calls for buttermilk and you don’t have it at home, all you need to do is combine two ingredients to make it at home from scratch.
Why you’ll love this Homemade Buttermilk recipe
- Two ingredients need. It’s such a simple recipe that involves using only two ingredients to prepare the best Homemade Buttermilk.
- Easy prep. You can prepare it in advance, store it in the fridge, and use it when preparing baked treats.
- Versatile. The buttermilk will add the perfect touch to pancakes, sweet breads, homemade biscuits, and plenty of other delicious treats.
How to make Buttermilk from Scratch
- Combine a cup of milk with a teaspoon of white wine vinegar or lemon juice.
- Stir the two ingredients together for a few seconds and allow your mixture to sit off to the side for an additional five minutes before you use it in any of your recipes.
What Kind of Milk Do I Need for Homemade Buttermilk?
Whole milk is the best type of milk to use when preparing the Homemade Buttermilk. However, if you have low-fat or reduced fat milk at home, you can use that with no problem.
How Long Will Homemade Buttermilk Last?
When you prepare the Homemade Buttermilk, it will last for up to three days. Be sure to store it properly by placing it in the fridge.
What Can I Use Buttermilk For?
You can use buttermilk to add the perfect taste to some of your favorite desserts, including bundt cakes, fruit breakfast cakes, pancakes, and more.
You can dip chicken into the buttermilk before coating it in flour and spices and frying it. It’s such a versatile yet essential ingredient worth having at home.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Don’t let your buttermilk sit out for too long. It only needs about five minutes before you should use it or put it in a storage container and place it in the fridge.
- If you need more than a cup of buttermilk for a recipe, you’ll need to double this recipe.
- You can use bottled lemon juice in the milk if you don’t have fresh juice from a lemon to use.
It’s so easy to make Homemade Buttermilk. Instead of buying it at the store, make sure you have the ingredients needed to make it at home. Once you’re preparing a recipe that calls for buttermilk, you can easily make it.
More baking basics we love
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
How to Make Buttermilk (Homemade Buttermilk Recipe)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- Stir together the milk and acid (either vinegar or lemon juice) and set it aside for five minutes before using.
- Makes 1 cup.
- Make sure not to let your buttermilk sit more than 5 minutes or it may start to curdle.