No need for a birthday party – this Funfetti Cake itself is a cause for celebration! Funfetti cake is one of my all time favorite dessert recipes, and not just because of how vibrant it is. This is a perfectly baked vanilla cake with sweet vanilla frosting that is sure to put a smile on your face!
Best Funfetti Cake Recipe
Sometimes, all you need is a big slice of vanilla cake that’s packed with rainbow sprinkles to treat the inner child inside. In a world filled with Zoom meetings and stress, make sure to treat yourself to the sweeter, more colorful things in life… like this delicious cake!
And yes, this recipe is WAY better than that store-bought stuff. I know how tempting it can be to just add some eggs and oil to a box mix, but trust me when I say that this easy recipe is so worth the extra effort. It’s moister, more richly flavored with real vanilla, and denser.
So next time you have a reason to celebrate, this is the cake to make! It’s a simple vanilla cake with a lot of personality that everyone always loves. And honestly, even if you don’t have a reason to celebrate… why not make this cake anyways?!
Why you’ll love this Funfetti Layer Cake recipe
- Fun: Rainbow sprinkles are always a good idea when you want to have a little fun!
- Delicious: It’s hard to beat the classics, and homemade vanilla cake and frosting is certainly a timeless classic.
- No frills: This cake recipe is a no frills, hassle free recipe that is incredibly simple to whip up. The hardest part is trying not to lick the spoon!
How to make Funfetti Cake from Scratch
- Cream together the sugar and butter.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix 1/3 of the dry mixture into the batter.
- Add 1/3 of the milk into the batter.
- Keep alternating this pattern until creamy and smooth.
Let’s make homemade vanilla frosting!
- Cream the butter.
- Add 1/3 of the powdered sugar and beat.
- Slowly add and mix more of the powdered sugar until until stiff frosting forms.
- Add in the vanilla extract.
- Add in half of the cream.
- Add food coloring during this step if you want a pop of color!
- Add the remaining cream and continue stirring until you reach the desired consistency.
- Wait until the cake is fully cooled to frost it.
How long will homemade funfetti cake stay fresh?
In an airtight container at room temperature, this cake will stay wonderfully fresh for 2-3 days!
Mine never seems to last that long, though. No one in my house can seem to steer clear of it!
Why isn’t my cake rising properly?
If your funfetti cake is a bit flat, that’s most likely because you didn’t add enough baking powder. Also, be sure to check the expiration date on your baking powder! If it’s expired, it just won’t do the trick.
Can I make this cake in advance?
While it does stay tasty for 2-3 days, I’ve found that it’s best when enjoyed within 1 day.
If you plan on making it in advance, consider wrapping the cake in plastic wrap and refrigerating it overnight. Then, frost it the following day and serve it. It’ll be good as new!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Personalize this cake with whatever color sprinkles you want! If it’s Christmas, consider using red and green sprinkles for a fun, festive touch.
- Fully insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake to check for doneness. If it comes out clean, the cake is baked!
- If you like a hint of almond with your vanilla desserts, add a tablespoon of almond extract to the batter.
Live life colorfully with this easy and delicious funfetti cake recipe!
More cake recipes we love
- Lemon Angel Food Cake
- Devil’s Food Cake
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake
- Red Velvet Cake with Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Best Funfetti Cake Recipe
For the Cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter – softened (2 sticks)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 3/4 cup sprinkles
For the Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter – softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- optional – food coloring, sprinkles or decorations
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 – 8-inch round baking pans with a non-stick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until well combined and fluffy (3-5 minutes). Mix in the eggs, one at a time; mixing well between each addition. Mix in the vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and continue mixing for another 2-3 minutes; done when the mixture is fluffy and creamy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Turn on the mixture and pour 1/3 of the flour mixture into the batter, mix well. Add 1/3 of the milk into the batter, mix well. Keep alternating between the flour and milk until all is mixed in continue mixing for another 2-3 minutes. Gently fold in the sprinkles. The batter will be creamy smooth.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Until a toothpick is inserted in the center and comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before inverting the pan and removing the cake to a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- In a large bowl, cream the butter until smooth. Add in 1/3 of the powdered sugar and beat until mixed in, slowly add in the remaining powdered sugar and continue mixing until a stiff frosting has formed. Add in the vanilla extract and half of the cream; mix well. Continue adding the cream and mixing continuously until the desired consistency has been reached. If a color is desired, add in the food coloring and mix until the color is evenly distributed.
- Spread the frosting on the bottom cake layer, add the top cake layer and spread the remaining frosting around the cake. Top with some sprinkles or decorate as you would like.
- Store covered at room temperature for best results. Will remain fresh for 2-3 days.
- I’ve made this with both a hand mixer and a stand mixer using a paddle attachment. Both methods will work; the best results came from the stand mixer and the paddle attachment.
- Best if used within 1 day. This can be made in advanced if needed. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.