Make the perfect cupcakes for birthday parties and various special events with this recipe for Funfetti Cupcakes. Make these baked goods from scratch with easy-to-find ingredients.
Easy Funfetti Cupcakes Recipe
Whether it's a birthday party, a family get together, or a bake sale, these funfetti cupcakes make fun and delicious treats! They are made from scratch, but super easy to make. Kids and adults alike will love them!
Would you like to make cupcakes from scratch? Instead of grabbing boxed cake mix for these baked goods, use this recipe for Funfetti Cupcakes. They’re not hard to make.
As long as you’ve got the right ingredients and a bit of time on your hands, you can prepare the batter, bake these cupcakes, and add homemade frosting to them.
Why you'll love this Funfetti Cupcake recipe
- They are super pretty. Not only do these cupcakes taste good, but they’re also pretty! The addition of sprinkles gives them a fun appearance.
- Fresh ingredients. The fresh ingredients contribute to the taste, making these cupcakes taste better than any boxed cake mix.
- Frosting is versatile. You can add your favorite frosting to the cupcakes after baking them and allowing them to cool off for a bit.
How to make Funfetti Cupcakes for birthdays, parties, and beyond
**This is an abbreviated list. Be sure to see the recipe card below for full instructions and details.
- Set your oven to 350 degrees and wait for it to get hot. While waiting, place paper liners in your cupcake pan.
- Gather your dry ingredients in a bowl and combine them. You’ll need to combine the baking powder, sugar, and flour.
- Grab a separate bowl and add your wet ingredients to it, including the eggs, vanilla extract, buttermilk, and vegetable oil.
- Fold your wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and then fold the sprinkles into the mixture.
- Pour the batter into each cake tin and then place the pan in the oven, baking for about 15 minutes.
- Make the frosting by beating cream cheese and butter together in a mixer, adding a bit of vanilla, and then incorporating the powdered sugar.
- Transfer the icing to a piping bag fitted and frost the cupcakes.
- Top with sprinkles and enjoy!
What Flavor are These Cupcakes?
These cupcakes have a vanilla flavor to them. The taste of vanilla comes from the extract added to the batter.
What Makes Them Funfetti?
There are Funfetti Cupcakes because of the colorful sprinkles you’ll add to your batter. The sprinkles add color and excitement to each cupcake.
What Type of Frosting Can I Use?
You can use any type of frosting that you prefer. Making it from scratch is simple. I used a homemade cream cheese frosting for my funfetti cupcakes.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Check the cupcakes. Check the centers of your cupcakes with a toothpick after 15 minutes to see if they’re done or not. If not, let them bake a few extra minutes.
- Store leftovers at room temperature. Store your cupcakes at room temperature. They’ll stay good for up to two days.
- Improvise when piping frosting. If you don’t have a piping bag for the frosting, use a Ziploc bag. It works when you’re in a pinch!
If you’d like to prepare moist and delicious cupcakes, try this recipe for Funfetti Cupcakes. They’re sweet, fluffy, and perfect for all occasions. You can make them for birthday parties and various special events.
More cupcake recipes we love
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Funfetti Cupcakes Recipe
For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup sprinkles
For the Icing
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line 12 cupcake tins with paper liners.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and sugar and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold them together gently. Keep folding just until no large lumps of flour remain.
- Fold in the sprinkles.
- Fill each cupcake tin ¾ of the way full and bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean-- about 15 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack before icing them (see below).
For the Icing
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until smooth and creamy-- about 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
- On low speed, add the powdered sugar a little at a time.
- Once all of the powdered sugar has been added, turn the mixer to high speed and beat until the icing is light and fluffy-- about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the icing to a piping bag fitted with your choice of tip (I used a Wilton 2D) and frost the cupcakes as desired. Top with sprinkles and enjoy!
- Store any leftover cupcakes at room temperature for up to two days.