If you love the combination of chocolate and mint together, be sure to make this Grasshopper Pie. It’s sweet, chocolatey, and decadent, making it the perfect dessert to prepare.
What’s in this Grasshopper Pie Recipe?
The combination of chocolate and mint is a classic that everyone loves. The smooth taste from the mint combined with the decadence of the chocolate is perfect for this rich and creamy pie.
- Oreo Crust: A simple combination of crushed Oreo cookies and unsalted butter.
- Marshmallows: Make the pie fluffy and light and helps it set up firm.
- Dairy: A combination of half-and-half, milk, and heavy cream strikes the balance between fat, flavor, and calories.
- Crème de Menthe Liqueur: Adds minty flavor.
- Crème de Cacao Liqueur: Adds chocolatey flavor.
- Vanilla Extract: Enhances the sweetness of the pie.
- Kosher Salt: Enhances the chocolate flavor of the pie.
- Stabilized Whipped Cream: This version uses gelatin to prevent the whipped cream from weeping rather than pudding mix, but both work well!
Pro Tip: You can save time by purchasing an Oreo cookie pie crust at the store.
Variations on Mint Pie
For a lighter-set pie, swap the marshmallows for an equal amount (by weight) of marshmallow fluff.
The grasshopper pie consists of a chocolate crust with a creamy, mint-flavored center and whipped cream on top. It’s flavorful!
The creme de menthe adds a green color to this flavorful dessert, which is where the name comes from since it resembles a green grasshopper.
The flavor of this pie is chocolate mint with hints of vanilla.
How to Store
Store leftover grasshopper pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. Enjoy chilled.
How to Freeze
Freeze grasshopper pie whole or cut into individual slices tightly wrapped in 2 layers of plastic wrap and 1 layer of aluminum foil for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Serve this minty pie topped with stabilized whipped cream and Oreo crumbs (pictured) or chocolate whipped cream for even more chocolate flavor. You could also crumble some peppermint patties over the top.
Chocolate Mint Grasshopper Pie Recipe
For the Crust
- 1½ cups crushed Oreo cookies 150 grams
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter 99 grams, melted
For the Filling
- 40 marshmallows 280 grams
- ½ cup half-and-half 114 grams
- ¼ cup milk 57 grams
- ¾ cup heavy cream 170 grams
- 3 tablespoons crème de menthe liqueur 43 grams
- 2 tablespoons crème de cacao liqueur 28 grams
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 4 grams
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
For the Whipped Cream
- 1½ teaspoons water 7 grams
- ½ teaspoon gelatin
- ½ cup heavy cream 114 grams
- ¼ cup powdered sugar 28 grams
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract 1 gram
- Oreo crumbs optional, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, combine the Oreos and butter until all the crumbs are wet. Press the mixture into the bottom of a pie pan. Place it into the oven to bake for 12 minutes. Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool.1½ cups crushed Oreo cookies, 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- While the crust is cooling, make the filling. In a large, microwave-safe bowl, combine the marshmallows, half-and-half, and milk. Place into the microwave and heat in 30-second increments. Be sure to whisk the mixture every 30 seconds until the marshmallows have melted and the half-and-half and milk are fully incorporated. This should take between 3-5 minutes. Remove from the microwave and cover the surface of the marshmallows with plastic wrap. Place into the fridge for 15 minutes or until it has cooled.40 marshmallows, ½ cup half-and-half, ¼ cup milk
- While the marshmallow mixture is cooling, whip the heavy cream in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment on medium high speed for about 3 minutes or until you have a fluffy whipped cream.¾ cup heavy cream
- Once the marshmallow mixture has cooled, whisk in the creme de menthe liqueur, creme de cacao liqueur, vanilla, and salt. Fold in the whipped cream. Pour the boozy marshmallows mixture into the cooled Oreo crust. Place into the fridge for 5 hours or in the freezer for 2 hours to allow the mixture to set.3 tablespoons crème de menthe liqueur, 2 tablespoons crème de cacao liqueur, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Once the pie has set, make the whipped cream topping. In a small microwave-safe bowl, whisk the water and gelatin together and heat in the microwave for one minute. Place the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whip on high speed for 3 minutes or until soft peaks have formed. Add the gelatin mixture and continue to whisk for another minute or two or until stiff peaks have formed.1½ teaspoons water, ½ teaspoon gelatin, ½ cup heavy cream, ¼ cup powdered sugar, ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a star tip with the whipped cream. Pipe swirls in a circle around the edge of the pie. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs, if desired. Slice and serve.Oreo crumbs
- If you want your pie to cool at a faster pace, you can leave it in the freezer for two hours instead of in the fridge for five hours.
- You can save time by purchasing an Oreo cookie pie crust at the store. However, making one from scratch is easy, too.
- Use some Oreo cookie crumbs to add as a finishing touch on your pie. It looks great as a garnish.
- Nutritional information does not include optional ingredients.