These homemade chocolate chip cookies have crispy edges, perfectly melted chocolate chips and the BEST chewy texture! Grab a glass of milk and enjoy a batch of these delectable classic cookies.
Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
The phrase “best chocolate chip cookie” is tossed around far too frequently, but trust me – this recipe deserves that title!
This is a no-frills easy recipe that makes the best classic chocolate chip cookies every time.
Why you’ll love this Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe
- Reliable: This is a tried and true recipe that just can’t be beat. When you’re in need of perfect homemade cookies that you know everyone will love, this is the recipe to use!
- Simple: There are no secret tricks or complicated steps in this recipe! The keys to perfect chocolate chip cookies are simple ingredients and easy steps.
- Classic: These cookies are just like the ones Grandma used to make… if not even better! Chocolate chip cookies are loved by people of all generations, making these cookies the perfect party favors or gifts from the heart.
How to make Chocolate Chip Cookies
**This is an abbreviated list. Be sure to see the recipe card below for full instructions and details.
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the sugars and butter until fluffy.
- Blend in the egg and vanilla.
- Add in the flour mixture.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Place the scoops of dough onto a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Allow the cookies to cool on a cooling rack.
- Serve, and enjoy!
How do I create perfectly shaped cookies?
The easiest way to ensure all cookies are the exact same shape and size is to use a cookie scoop!
The portion scoop I use is 1 1/2 inches in size, and it gives me the perfect cookies every time.
Having identical cookies is important for two reasons. First, the cookies are much more picturesque when they’re all the same size! Second, they will all bake evenly if they’re scooped the same.
How do I know when they’re finished baking?
There are different variables that can come into play when baking cookies. All ovens are a little bit different, and you might have a differently shaped cookie scoop.
In that 9-11 minute window, check on the cookies frequently. Once the edges begin to turn golden brown and the center looks baked, you’ll know they’re ready to be taken out of the oven.
How long do they stay fresh?
In an airtight container at room temperature, these cookies will stay fresh for 3-4 days!
If you want to extend that time a bit, keep them in the same airtight container, but in the refrigerator. In the fridge, they’ll stay fresh for 5-6 days.
Sometimes, I like to pop them in the microwave for just a few seconds before enjoying them with milk or ice cream! However, they’re still good when they’re cold, too.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Want to make these cookies more colorful? Swap the chocolate chips for M&M’s! This dough will work just fine with the classic candy.
- Avoid using softened butter, unless you want the cookies to spread and be more flat. However, if that’s the texture you prefer, then opt for room temperature butter.
- For a richer flavor, use dark chocolate chips instead of semi sweet. You can also add just a pinch of espresso powder to the dough to deepen the flavor even more!
All chocolate chip cookies are not created equal, and this recipe proves that! These are seriously the BEST chocolate chip cookies you’ll ever bake. They’re simple, delicious, and impossible to resist.
More cookie recipes we love
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda, then set the bowl aside.
- In a large bowl, or using a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugars together until they are light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla, continue mixing until they are blended. Add in the flour mixture and beat until the dough is soft and creamy.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, until they are evenly mixed into the dough.
- Using a portion scoop, or spoon, drop scoops of the dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Leave about an inch between the dough to allow for spread while baking. Bake for about 9-11 minutes, until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and place on cooling racks to cool.
- This recipe makes 2 dozen cookies. (My portion scoop is 1 ½ inches in size) Butter should be cold.
- If using softened or room temperature butter, the cookies will have more spread and will be flat.
- More chocolate chips can be added if desired, or m & m’s can be used with this dough.