Chocolate pound cake is rich, decadent, and so worth the indulgence. Try a slice of this heavenly homemade pound cake today!
Fudge Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
When it comes to chocolate desserts, there’s nothing worth sinking your teeth into more than this delicious chocolate pound cake!
It’s a dense, richly flavored chocolate cake that’s covered in mouthwatering homemade fudge glaze.
If you’re a chocolate lover, you simply have to master this easy chocolate pound cake recipe! It’s soon to become your favorite go-to dessert.
Why you’ll love this Chocolate Pound Cake recipe
- Decadent: While parfaits and shortcakes are tasty, nothing can beat the rich decadence of a dessert like chocolate pound cake! The dense texture and rich chocolate flavor are truly satisfying.
- Easy: Don’t worry, this delicious pound cake recipe has simple ingredients and very easy to follow steps. You would never know that by tasting it, though!
- Loved: Chocolate cake is what I call a “safe” recipe. Why? Because you can serve it to anyone! Who doesn’t love chocolate cake? This pound cake specifically is classic and impossible to pass up on.
How to make Chocolate Pound Cake with Fudge Glaze
Start by making the cake.
- Preheat the oven and prepare the bundt pan.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat the butter and sugar together.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the butter mixture before adding vanilla extract.
- Pour half of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix.
- Mix in the sour cream.
- Stir in the remaining flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool.
Next, make the homemade glaze.
- Combine the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl.
- Cook the ingredients in the microwave for 30 second increments.
- Pour the glaze on the cake.
- Allow the glaze to set.
**Be sure to see the recipe card below for full recipe details and instructions.
How do I make sure my pound cake is the perfect shape?
These three words will save your pound cake – Prepare. Your. Pan!
It’s extremely important to ensure the non-stick baking spray is covering every nook and cranny of the bundt pan.
At the same time, however, you don’t want to spray too much oil. That could cause imperfections on your cake just as much as having not enough non-stick oil.
A thin, even layer will always do the trick.
Why do I have to alternate between wet and dry ingredients?
These steps may seem unnecessary, but they’re highly needed to create the perfect bundt cake batter!
Pound cakes are a true work of art, and artwork can be a bit touchy.
If you don’t follow the exact steps of alternating between wet and dry ingredients, it’s likely that the batter will curdle once baked.
How long will it stay fresh?
In an airtight container at room temperature, your chocolate pound cake should stay deliciously fresh for up to 2 days.
In the same airtight container in the refrigerator, your pound cake should stay fresh for up to 4 days. While the slices are still tasty when cold, you can also let it reach room temperature on the kitchen counter before eating.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Do NOT over mix your cake batter! When mixing, you’re creating air in your batter, which will help your cake rise in the oven. If you mix it too much, this air goes away and your cake won’t rise properly.
- Double check that the pound cake is done before letting it cool off on a cooling rack. You can do this easily by inserting a clean toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is baked.
- Want to add more sweetness? Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top to satisfy your sweet tooth even more!
More Chocolate Recipes we Love
- Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- Hot Cocoa Bombs
- S’mores Quesadillas
- Devil’s Food Cake
- Red Velvet Cake
This indulgent chocolate pound cake is the definition of irresistible. Once you master the steps to making this pound cake, you’ll be making it over and over again!
More easy cake recipes we love
- Lemon Bundt Cake
- Devil’s Food Cake
- Angel Food Cake
- Red Velvet Cake with Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
For the cake:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 sticks 1 ½ cups unsalted butter – softened
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs – room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
For the Fudge Glaze:
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a 10 inch bundt pan by spraying with a non-stick baking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar for 5 minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla. Pour half of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Mix in the sour cream and then mix in the remaining flour mixture until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake and comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before inverting the cake onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before pouring the glaze.
For the Glaze:
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine all of the glaze ingredients. Cook in the microwave for 30 seconds, take the bowl out, and stir. If there are lumps still remaining, cook for another 10 seconds. Stir everything until well combined.
- Pour the glaze onto the cake and allow it to set. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.