When you’re craving a decadent dessert, try this Double Chocolate Cake recipe. Working with simple ingredients, you’ll prepare the freshest and most flavorful cake from scratch.
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
Who doesn’t love chocolate cake? If it’s one of your favorite sweet treats, try to make it at home on your own with this Double Chocolate Cake recipe. It consists of flour, cocoa powder, and several other ingredients that you can quickly find at any grocery store.
Once you try a cake made from scratch, you may never want to go back to eating boxed cake mix again. You’ll taste the difference for sure and your family will be asking for this recipe over and over again.
Why you’ll love this Easy Double Chocolate Cake recipe
- Fresh ingredients. You’ll get to make the chocolate cake and the frosting from scratch, leaving the cake with a fresh and flavorful taste.
- Chocolate lover approved. The Double Chocolate Cake is a decadent dessert perfect for that chocolate craving.
- Versatile recipe. You can use the batter and frosting to make a cake or cupcakes, whichever you prefer!
How to make Easy Chocolate Cake for any occasion
**This is an abbreviated list. Be sure to see the recipe card below for full instructions and details.
- Set your oven to 350 degrees F and line your pan with parchment paper.
- Add your flour, sugar, baking powder, and cocoa powder in a bowl, whisking everything together.
- Add the vegetable oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla to the bowl, continuing to whisk your ingredients together.
- Pour the batter in your cake pan, bake for up to 30 minutes, and then allow it to cool.
- Make the frosting by creaming melted butter in a mixer with a paddle attachment for two minutes.
- Add heavy cream, mix the ingredients, and then add the powdered sugar little by little.
- Beat the ingredients for several minutes until you have a fluffy frosting.
- Frost your cake after it has cooled completely.
What type of frosting do I need?
Use a chocolate buttercream frosting on this cake. You can easily make it from scratch using softened butter, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and chocolate.
How many layers is this chocolate cake?
The Double Chocolate Cake is a single-layer cake. It gets its signature double name because the cake is chocolate, along with the frosting that you’ll add on top.
How do I store leftover cake?
Store your leftover cake in a plastic cake tote. If you don’t have a cake tote, you can wrap it in aluminum foil or plastic wrap or slice it into serving slices and wrap them individually in plastic wrap to keep them fresh.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Leave your butter out to soften before you use it in this recipe.
- Let your cake cool a bit before you add the frosting on top, using a spoon to make that adorable swoosh effect.
- Check your cake with a toothpick to see if it’s fully baked. If not, leave it in a bit longer.
Make this homemade Double Chocolate Cake with ease. The ingredients needed are easy to find and most importantly is that it’s a quick and delicious dessert that everyone will enjoy!
More chocolate cake recipes we love
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Easy Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
For the Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Frosting
- 1 stick butter softened
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces chocolate melted and cooled
For the Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line a 9×9 square cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
- Add the eggs, vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla and whisk to combine. Mix just until no large lumps remain– you don’t want to overmix!
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes in the man and then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Frosting
- Add the softened butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Cream the butter on medium speed for 1-2 minutes, or until it is light and smooth.
- Add the heavy cream and mix to combine.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the powdered sugar.
- Once all of the powdered sugar has been added, add melted chocolate.
- Turn the mixer to high speed and whip the frosting until it becomes light and airy.
- Once the cake has cooled, dump the frosting on top and use a spoon or offset spatula to create swooshes in the frosting.
- Slice and enjoy! Store any leftover cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up three days.