Toss out that box cake mix, and instead make this Easy Vanilla Sheet Cake! This recipe is wonderfully simple and always pleases a crowd. Soft, sweet, and spongey – that’s how I’d describe this perfect vanilla sheet cake recipe!
Vanilla Sheet Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Sheet cakes are always a go-to dessert when planning a party. Sure, layered cakes are pretty and impressive, but sheet cakes get the job done – especially for a larger crowd. This sheet cake serves up to 15 people, and everyone’s always happy with their piece!
The simplicity of a vanilla sheet cake shouldn’t be underestimated. It’s a no-frills dessert that’s been around for ages, and for good reason. Not many people can turn away a classic slice of soft, sweet vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream frosting. Oh, and don’t forget the rainbow sprinkles!
Next time you’re planning a birthday party, baby shower, or any other cause for celebration, consider making this super easy homemade vanilla sheet cake. It’s the real definition of tried and true! Picky eaters, foodies, and friends of all tastes might just ask for a second piece.
Why you’ll love this Easy Vanilla Cake Recipe recipe
- Classic: Everyone loves vanilla cake! This is a classic recipe that is sure to satisfy.
- Customizable: Making this for a birthday party? Use rainbow sprinkles! A baby shower? Blue and/or pink sprinkles! You can dress this cake up for any occasion.
- Homemade: In a cinch, a box cake mix isn’t half bad. However, none of those boxes can hold a candle to this delicious homemade cake recipe.
How to make Frosted Vanilla Sheet Cake from scratch
- Preheat the oven and prepare a baking pan.
- Stir together the milk, egg whites, eggs, butter, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Make the frosting by whipping the butter, then adding the vanilla and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Cool the cake.
- Frost the cake, add the sprinkles, slice, and enjoy!
How can I soften the butter quickly?
If you forget to let your butter for the frosting adjust to room temperature, don’t panic! Just microwave a cup of water for 3 minutes. Then, quickly open the microwave door and place the sliced butter in the microwave, closing the door quickly.
Let the butter sit in the microwave (without the microwave being on) for about 5-10 minutes. Within that time, the butter should soften, not melt.
How long will homemade vanilla sheet cake stay fresh?
In an airtight container at room temperature, this cake will stay fresh for about 3-4 days. If you’re planning on making it ahead of time, only do so for about 1 day.
While the cake is still tasty by day 3, it’s best when served within the first 24 hours of baking and frosting.
How can I add even more vanilla flavor?
If vanilla extract isn’t enough to satisfy your vanilla craving, don’t despair! Vanilla bean paste will get the job done.
Simply add 1 tbsp of vanilla bean paste to the cake batter and 1 tsp to the frosting. You’ll have a significantly more vanilla flavored cake!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Do NOT frost the cake until it’s completely cooled to room temperature. If it’s still warm, the buttercream frosting will melt quickly.
- If you don’t have any whole milk on hand, that’s ok! Any kind of milk should do the trick for this easy recipe.
- Have fun with this cake, and don’t be afraid to get creative with the sprinkles and designs! The sky’s the limit when it comes to customizing the image of this sheet cake.
In about 30 minutes, you too can have a simple and delicious vanilla sheet cake with homemade buttercream frosting.
More easy cake recipes we love
- Blueberry Bundt Cake
- Fresh Strawberry Pound Cake
- Devil’s Food Cake
- Red Velvet Cake with Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Vanilla Sheet Cake Recipe
For the Cake:
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 2 sticks of butter melted
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Optional: colorful sprinkles
For the Vanilla Buttercream frosting:
- 2 sticks of butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 12×17 baking pan with parchment paper then spray the sides with non-stick spray.
- Add the milk, egg whites, eggs, butter, sour cream and vanilla extract to a medium size bowl and stir to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
- While the cake is baking, make the frosting by whipping the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and mix again until combined then add a cup of powdered sugar at a time and mix after each addition until smooth.
- Let the cake cool for at least 30 minutes or until the top is cool to the touch before frosting it.
- Sprinkle some sprinkles on top of the cake before the frosting dries then slice and serve.