Make a colorful, tasty Birthday Cheesecake to enjoy as a decadent dessert with family and friends. It’s such a fun twist on a classic cheesecake and the perfect treat to prepare for birthday parties, holidays, and other gatherings!
What’s in Birthday Cake Cheesecake?
Everyone will love this decadent cheesecake recipe. It has a cake crust and funfetti cheesecake center. It’s the perfect combination of desserts.
- Granulated Sugar: Sweetens the cake crust and the cheesecake.
- Unsalted Butter: Adds moisture and flavor to the cake.
- Vegetable Oil: Makes the cake ultra-moist.
- Eggs: Give the cake and cheesecake structure and richness.
- Milk: Adds moisture to the cake.
- Sour Cream: Adds moisture, richness, and a tangy flavor to the cake and cheesecake.
- Vanilla Extract: Adds that classic funfetti birthday cake flavor.
- Cake Flour: Makes the cake ultra-light and fluffy.
- Leavening: A combination of baking powder and baking soda help the cake rise and become fluffy.
- Kosher Salt: Enhances the flavors of the cake and cheesecake.
- Rainbow Sprinkles: Give this cheesecake a fun, rainbow confetti appearance.
- Cream Cheese: Gives the cheesecake structure and tangy flavor.
- Heavy Cream: Adds richness to the cheesecake.
- Yogurt: Makes the cheesecake moist and tangy.
- Cornstarch: Thickens the cheesecake so it holds its shape.
Pro Tip: If you don’t have cake flour, you can make your own by measuring 1 cup of all-purpose flour, removing 2 tablespoons from the cup, and adding 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Whisk together and sift well before using.
Variations on Funfetti Cheesecake
You can change up the sprinkle colors in this cheesecake to make it festive for different holidays. Rainbow is perfect for birthdays, St. Patrick’s Day, or Pride. Black, purple, and orange are great for Halloween. Pink, red, and white work well for Valentine’s Day, and red and green make this festive for Christmas.
Funfetti is the trademarked name for confetti cake coined by Pillsbury in 1989. Confetti cake is a vanilla cake with rainbow sprinkles. Now, funfetti has expanded to include any vanilla-flavored dessert with sprinkles.
You’ll need at least 2½ cups of sprinkles to use for both the cake and the cheesecake. However, it doesn’t hurt to have extra sprinkles just in case you decide to add more to your cake!
Cheesecakes require the use of a springform pan. This type of pan allows for even baking, easy release, and less mess. If you don’t have one, you should be able to pick one up at most stores in the aisle with other baking pans.
Keep your cheesecake from cracking by leaving it in the oven with the door closed for at least an hour. Make sure to turn the oven off so that it doesn’t dry your cheesecake out or cause it to burn.
Cheesecake should come out of the oven with a slightly jiggly center. It will take a few hours to cool and set properly, so don’t worry! If after baking, you press gently in the center of the cheesecake and runny batter comes off on your finger, it needs a bit longer to bake.
Yes, you can freeze cheesecake. It’s a great way to preserve its freshness until you’re ready to slice it and serve it.
How to Store
Store leftover birthday cheesecake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to Freeze
Freeze birthday cheesecake whole or cut into individual slices tightly wrapped in 2 layers of plastic wrap and 1 layer of aluminum foil for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying.
This decadent cheesecake is perfect alone or with a scoop of ice cream added on top. It’s smooth and creamy with a slight vanilla flavor. Pipe swirls of vanilla or pink champagne buttercream on top for an elegant look.
Birthday Cheesecake Recipe
For the Cake
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar 67 grams
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter 42 grams, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil 38 grams
- 1 large egg 50 grams, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk 14 grams, room temperature
- 2½ tablespoons milk 35 grams, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sour cream 14 grams, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract 2 grams
- ½ cup cake flour 60 grams, see note
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder 1 gram
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles 96 grams
For the Cheesecake
- 28 ounces cream cheese 795 grams, room temperature (3½ bricks)
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200 grams
- 4 large eggs 200 grams, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk 14 grams, room temperature
- 10 tablespoons heavy cream 142 grams, room temperature
- ⅓ cup sour cream 76 grams, room temperature
- ⅓ cup yogurt 76 grams, room temperature
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch 4 grams
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 8 grams
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups rainbow sprinkles 288 grams
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- To make the cake, in a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, butter, and oil. Whisk in the egg and egg yolk until smooth. Add in the milk, sour cream, and vanilla.⅓ cup granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 large egg, 2½ tablespoons milk, 1 tablespoon sour cream, ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 1 egg yolk
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Add into the wet mixture and stir just until the flour mixture is incorporated. Fold in the sprinkles until fully incorporated.½ cup cake flour, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, ⅛ teaspoon baking soda, ½ cup rainbow sprinkles
- Pour the cake batter into the bottom of the springform pan and smooth out. Place into the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until it is browned to your liking.
- Once the cake is baked, remove it from the oven and place it onto a cooling rack while you make the cheesecake batter.
- To make the cheesecake batter, place the cream cheese and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on high speed until completely smooth, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the eggs and egg yolk and beat for another minute until fully incorporated.28 ounces cream cheese, 1 cup granulated sugar, 4 large eggs, 1 egg yolk
- Add in the heavy cream, sour cream, and yogurt and beat together. Add the cornstarch, vanilla, and salt and stir until incorporated. Fold in the sprinkles. Pour the cheesecake batter on top of the cake and smooth out.10 tablespoons heavy cream, ⅓ cup sour cream, ⅓ cup yogurt, ½ tablespoon cornstarch, 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, 1½ cups rainbow sprinkles
- Wrap the bottom and sides of the springform pan with tin foil to prevent water from seeping in. Place springform pan into a larger pan to create a water bath. Fill the larger pan with enough water to come 1 inch up the side of the springform pan.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 1½ hours or until the cheesecake is set but the center is jiggly. You may need to cover the cheesecake with aluminum foil once the cheesecake starts browning to prevent it from getting too dark.
- Once the cheesecake has baked, turn the heat off and leave the cheesecake to rest in the oven for 1 hour with the door closed.
- After the cheesecake has rested, remove from the oven and place onto a cooling rack to cool completely. At this point, the springform pan should be unwrapped from the aluminum foil and out of the water bath. Once the cheesecake has cooled completely, cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place into the fridge to chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- After the cheesecake has chilled, run a butter knife around the edges to release the cheesecake from the springform pan. Release the pan sides and place the cheesecake onto a cake stand or plate to slice and serve.
- Cake Flour: If you don’t have cake flour, you can make your own by measuring 1 cup of all-purpose flour, removing 2 tablespoons from the cup, and adding 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Whisk together and sift well before using.
- Don’t remove the cheesecake right away. Once it finishes baking, turn the oven off and leave it in the oven for an hour. This helps prevent the top from cracking.
- When storing the cheesecake, you can put it in the freezer to keep it fresh for a maximum of 3 months. Slice it once it’s cool and wrap individual slices in freezer paper.
- Add frosting or a scoop of ice cream on top of the finished cheesecake.