These easy lemon poppy seed cookies are like soft little pillows make of zesty lemon, crunchy poppy seeds, and a drizzle of sweet glaze! Each bite of these light, yet decadent lemon cookies is like taking a bite of pure sunshine.
Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies Recipe
These soft, cake-like lemon poppy seed cookies are one of my favorite summertime treats! Whether I whip up a batch for a picnic in the park or a backyard barbecue, these delicious lemon cookies are always a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
The balance of tangy and sweet flavors is so perfect in these cookies! The combination of fresh lemon juice and rind mixed with just enough sugar creates a wonderful pairing of those contrasting flavors. These cookies aren't too tangy or too sweet - they're just right.
Of course, you really can't forget the smaller details that really brings the cookies all together - the poppy seeds and sweet glaze! While both of those ingredients can be omitted, I highly recommend including them both.
The poppy seeds add the perfect delicate crunch, while a drizzle of sweet glaze or icing provides the perfect amount of added sweetness.
Why you'll love this Lemon Poppy Seed Cookie recipe
- So soft: While we all love thin chewy cookies or harder, crunchier cookies, there's something to be said for the pleasures of biting into a thick, fluffy, cake-like cookie! These soft lemony pillows are almost too good to be true.
- A summertime favorite: While I personally could eat these all year round, (yes, even on Christmas), they're a true summertime staple. They're just so fresh and bright!
- Easy: This is a no-frills recipe. The steps are easy to follow and the ingredients are simple and inexpensive. You have no reason not to treat yourself to this easy cookie recipe!
How to make Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
**This is an abbreviated list. Be sure to see the recipe card below for full instructions and details.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat the butter and sugar until soft. Stir in the egg until it's fluffy.
- Add the milk, lemon juice, and lemon rind to the wet ingredients until the batter is smooth.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients before stirring in the poppy seeds.
- Place the drops of dough onto a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the center of a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool before frosting or glazing.
What are the best ways to top off these lemon poppy cookies?
I love making my own glaze with just milk, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar! Then, I use a spoon to drizzle the sweet glaze evenly all over the cookies.
However, you could also drizzle the cookies with melted white chocolate for an ever richer, sweeter topping! Or, you could simply dust them with powdered sugar for a more delicate touch of sweetness.
How long will they stay fresh?
At room temperature in an airtight container, these cookies will stay fresh for uptown 3 days. In the refrigerator, still in an airtight container, they will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
How many lemons do I need to produce enough juice?
Typically, there are about 5 tablespoons of juice in an average sized lemon. Since this recipe only calls for 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, you should only need one lemon.
However, if you plan on doubling or tripling this recipe, consider buying a few more lemons! Also, be sure you're getting your juice from real lemons, not the store-bought bottled stuff, or your cookies won't be as fresh tasting.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Want these cookies to be even more lemony? Add a few drops of pure lemon extract to the batter. Just be careful, as the extract is pretty powerfully flavored. You could also add it to the glaze for even more lemon flavor!
- Avoid over-baking these cookies! If cooked for too long, they will dry out and lose their soft, cake-like texture.
- To get the most cookies out of your dough, roll them into one inch balls. That should yield about 18-24 cookies.
These soft lemon poppy seed cookies are a perfect combination of tangy and sweet, while also being soft and cake-like. They're pure bliss!
More cookies we love
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies Recipe
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Gradually beat the butter and sugar together until soft. Add in the egg and beat until fluffy. Add in the milk, lemon juice, and lemon rind, until the batter is smooth.
- Slowly add in the flour, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Stir in the poppy seeds, until they are evenly distributed into the dough.
- Scoop or spoon drops of the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the cookie sheet in the center of the oven, on the middle rack.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until they become firm. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before glazing or frosting.
- These cookies are cake-like and very soft and chewy.
- If you would like an extra sweet cookie, you can drizzle melted white chocolate, frost, or glaze if desired.
- This recipe makes 18-24 cookies, depending on the size. I used a one inch ball of dough, and was able to make about two dozen.