Peanut butter cup cheesecake is a combination of a few desserts in one. It combines a chocolate crust, peanut butter cheesecake with a chocolate ganache topping and chopped peanut butter cups on top.
Decadent Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Recipe
If you love peanut butter and chocolate, this is the ultimate dessert for you! It starts with a chocolate cookie crust and then is loaded with creamy peanut butter cheesecake and it is finished with a chocolate ganache AND peanut butter cups.
To say this chocolate peanut butter cheesecake is loaded is an understatement!
Why You’ll Love this Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Recipe:
- Easy to make: Although this cheesecake has multiple layers and steps, it really is simple to make. If you can melt, stir, pour and drizzle, then you can whip up this cheesecake in no time!
- Tastes amazing: Chocolate and peanut butter just go together and this cheesecake is loaded with both! You get all kinds of textures and flavors in one decadent dessert.
Trademark Note: In the spirit of transparency, I want to note that some of these ingredients are trademarked products. Oreo is a proprietary brand that I want to acknowledge and give credit to.
How to Make Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake with Chocolate Ganache
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Make the crust by combining the crushed Oreos, sugar, and butter.
- Press into a springform pan and bake for 12 minutes.
- Beat together the peanut butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar.
- Cream the cream cheese and the sugars.
- Mix in the peanut butter mixture, heavy cream, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Beat in the egg yolks.
- Add in the cornstarch and salt and mix to combine.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture into the pie crust.
- Create a water bath around the cheesecake and bake for 1½ hours.
- Allow the cake to sit in the oven for an additional hour and then chill.
- Melt the chocolate chips with the heavy cream.
- Pour the ganache over the cheesecake.
- Top with chopped peanut butter cups.
Cheesecakes require the use of a springform pan. This type of pan allows for even baking, easy release, and less mess. If you don’t have one, you should be able to pick one up at most stores in the aisle with other baking pans.
The crust of this peanut butter cup cheesecake is chocolate! It is made with crushed Oreos so it can be considered a cookies and cream crust too.
After you bake your cheesecake, leave it in the oven for an additional hour. This will allow the cheesecake to cool gradually and will greatly reduce the likelihood of the cheesecake cracking on top.
You will want to allow the ganache on top to cool first. Then use a butter knife and run it around the springform pan to release the cheesecake. Remove the pan and then you are free to slice and serve the cheesecake!
This cheesecake is massive and decadent. It is great for serving at birthdays and other family events. You can use homemade peanut butter cups or store bought ones to add to the top of this impressive cheesecake.
This cheesecake is the ultimate chocolate and peanut butter combo. It starts with a chocolate crust, is filled with a peanut butter center, has chocolate ganache spread on top, and then is topped with peanut butter cups for good measure.
Recipe Tips and Notes
Make sure you wrap the springform pan so that the cheesecake does not drink out over the sides.
Clean your knife between each slice so that you have nice, clean slices of cheesecake.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If you want to wow someone with a dessert, this peanut butter cup cheesecake is the one to make! It is full of chocolate and peanut butter goodness and fairly simple to make.
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Recipe
For the Crust
- 2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs 170 grams
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar 100 grams
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter 71 grams, melted
For the Peanut Butter Mix
For the Cheesecake
- 32 ounces cream cheese 908 grams, room temperature (4 bricks)
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200 grams
- ⅓ cup brown sugar 71 grams
- Peanut butter mix (SEE ABOVE)
- ⅔ cup heavy cream 151 grams, room temperature
- ½ cup plain yogurt 114 grams, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 4 grams
- 4 egg yolks 56 grams, room temperature
- 2½ tablespoons cornstarch 18 grams
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt 3 grams
For the Chocolate Ganache
- 1½ cups chocolate chips 255 grams
- ¾ cup heavy cream 170 grams
- Chopped peanut butter cups for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and gently spray the sides with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- To make the crust, mix together the Oreo crumbs and sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Add in the butter and mix until the mixture resembles wet sand. Press into the bottom of the springform pan in an even layer. Place into the preheated oven to bake for 12 minutes. Once baked, remove from the oven and place onto a cooling rack to cool while you make the peanut butter mix and cheesecake batter.2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs, ⅓ cup granulated sugar, 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- To make the peanut butter mix, add all of the peanut butter mix ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat together on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Spoon into a small bowl and set aside for use in the cheesecake.1 cup creamy peanut butter, ⅔ cup powdered sugar, ¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- To make the cheesecake batter, place the cream cheese, sugar, and brown sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed for 2 minutes to ensure no clumps of cream cheese remain. Add in the peanut butter mix, heavy cream, yogurt, and vanilla, and beat for 45 seconds to fully incorporate. Add in the egg yolks and beat together for 30 seconds. Lastly, add in the cornstarch and salt. Beat for 20-30 seconds to fully incorporate. Pour the batter into the crust. Wrap the bottom and sides of the springform pan to prevent any water from seeping in. Place into a much larger baking pan. Fill the larger pan with enough warm water to come 1 inch up the sides of the springform pan to form a water bath.32 ounces cream cheese, 1 cup granulated sugar, ⅓ cup brown sugar, Peanut butter mix, ⅔ cup heavy cream, ½ cup plain yogurt, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 4 egg yolks, 2½ tablespoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the cheesecake into the oven to bake for 1½ hours. Once baked, turn the heat off and leave the cheesecake in, with the door closed, to rest for an additional 1 hour. Once the cheesecake has rested, remove it from the oven and unwrap it. Place it onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Once cooled, cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator to chill for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- To make the ganache, heat the heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave for 1 minute. Pour the heated heavy cream over the chocolate chips. Let set for 1 minute. Stir until combined and smooth. Pour the ganache over the top of the chilled cheesecake. Top with chopped peanut butter cups. Cover and return to the refrigerator to chill and set for about 1 hour.1½ cups chocolate chips, ¾ cup heavy cream, Chopped peanut butter cups
- Once the ganache has set, carefully run a butter knife around the inside edge of the springform pan to release the cheesecake. Release the springform and lift the sides up off of the cheesecake. Slice and serve.
- Make sure you wrap the springform pan so that the cheesecake does not drink out over the sides.
- Clean your knife between each slice so that you have nice, clean slices of cheesecake.