These chocolate covered strawberry pavlovas are a perfect all year round dessert. Crunchy and chewy meringue is filled with chocolate sauce, fresh strawberries and cream for an indulgent treat.
Chocolate Strawberry Pavlova Recipe
These homemade strawberry pavlovas are a treat that everyone will love!
This show stopping dessert is great to serve for so many occasions. It's perfect for Valentine's Day, is great for the holidays and of course is a delight all throughout summer when local strawberries are in season.
Be sure to try these chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes.
Why you'll love these Chocolate Covered Strawberry Pavlovas
- Made from scratch: You can of course buy pre-made meringues and fill them, but these homemade pavlovas are so much better! Perfectly crisp and chewy, it's so worth the extra bit of effort.
- Make ahead: The pavlovas can be made ahead of time, so all you have to do is fill them to serve. Perfect if you are entertaining.
- Easy to adapt: The chocolate, strawberry and cream filling is so delicious, but you can fill them with any fresh fruits you like.
How to make Chocolate Covered Strawberry Pavlovas
- Beat your egg whites and slowly add the sugar until you form a stiff peak.
- Mix in the vanilla and place into a piping bag.
- Pipe the pavlovas onto parchment and bake. Allow to cool.
- Melt together the chocolate and coconut oil.
- Fill each pavlova with the chocolate, top with strawberries, whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate.
Can you make them ahead of time?
The pavlovas can be made up to one day in advance. Keep them in an airtight container at room temperature to keep them fresh. Then, when you are ready to serve, you can add he toppings. If you add the toppings too far ahead of time, the meringue can become soggy.
Can you freeze the meringue?
You can freeze meringue, but you must take care that they don't absorb moisture as this can make them soft. Freeze the cooled pavlovas in an airtight container with the layers separated with parchment. They will keep well for up to a month.
Thaw them on a wire rack, to allow air to circulate. They will take about an hour to thaw and should be used quickly.
Strawberries and cream is a classic topping, but you can use any fruits and sauces you like. Lemon curd, seasonal fruits, raspberry sauces and shaved chocolate are all great choices.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- This chocolate sauce will harden in 10-15 minutes at room temperature, but it can easily be re-melted in the microwave.
- Make sure to beat the egg whites just until they reach a stiff peak (clumping around the whisk with one single peak that sticks straight upward). Under-beating the egg whites will result in a runny meringue while over-beating the egg whites will result in cracked pavlovas.
- Let the meringue slowly cool in the oven so that it doesn't crack.
This delicious chocolate covered strawberry pavlova is wonderfully decadent. It's textures and flavors make every bite hands down delicious.
More Valentine's recipes we love
- Valentine's Macarons
- Devil's Food Cake
- Red Velvet Cake with Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Red Velvet Cake Truffles
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Pavlova Recipe
For the Pavlovas
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Sauce
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup whipped cream optional
Make the Pavlovas
- Preheat your oven to 275F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment or a silpat mat.
- Add the egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed (Kitchenaid #6).
- Slowly add the sugar (about 1 tablespoon at a time) with the mixer on medium speed. Once you’ve added about half the sugar, turn the mixer up to medium-high speed (Kitchenaid #8) and add the remaining sugar slowly. Beat on medium high speed until the pavlovas form a stiff peak.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix just until it has combined-- about 15 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and fold them into the meringue with a rubber spatula.
- Transfer the meringue to a large piping bag fitted with a star tip.
- Pipe 3” circles of meringue. Then, on top of the circle, pipe a small second layer-- only around the edge-- to create a well that will hold the fruit.
- Place the pavlovas in the oven for 1.5 hours, or until the centers are no longer wet and you can pick them up off the parchment easily. Then, turn the oven off and open the door (but leave the pavlovas inside) and allow them to cool to room temperature.
Make the Chocolate Sauce
- Combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small, microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute, or until the chocolate has melted fully. Set aside
- Fill each pavlova with 1 tablespoon of chocolate sauce. Top with strawberries and whipped cream, if using. Drizzle over any additional chocolate sauce. Serve immediately.