Coffee lovers, rejoice – these espresso brownies are going to be your new favorite treat! Each bite of these chocolate brownies is rich with deep espresso flavor.
Espresso Brownies Recipe
The rich flavors of chocolate and espresso are delicious on their own, and when they’re mixed together in the form of a perfectly baked brownie… the word “irresistible” comes to mind first.
Do you love the crunchy, chewy crust of a brownie or the warm, gooey center? Either way, this easy brownie recipe perfectly produces both pieces!
Next time you’re enjoying a nice cup of coffee in the morning, imagine how much better it would be if paired with an espresso brownie. I can’t think of a better way to start the day!
Why you’ll love this Espresso Brownies recipe
- Rich: Sometimes, you just need a good, rich dessert to feed your soul. These espresso brownies are sure to satiate your chocolate craving!
- Coffee: If you love the bold, slightly bitter taste of coffee, you’re going to love how it pairs with sweet milk chocolate in this recipe.
- Easy to make: Just because these homemade brownies aren’t from a box, doesn’t mean that they’re not easy to make! Espresso brownies are made in just a few short, simple steps.
How to make Espresso Brownies
- Preheat the oven and prepare a baking dish.
- Melt the butter with chocolate chips and coffee.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the eggs and sugars.
- Mix in the flour until you have a batter.
- Let the batter cool.
- Stir in more chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool before cutting.
**Be sure to see the recipe card below for full instructions and details.
How long will espresso brownies stay fresh?
In an airtight container at room temperature, these espresso brownies will stay fresh and delicious for up to 3 days.
If you want to extend that time and don’t mind them a bit cold, keep the brownies in an airtight container in the fridge, where they’ll stay fresh for up to 5 days.
They’re also delicious when warmed slightly in the microwave, if you don’t like them cold!
Can these brownies be frozen?
Yes, they can! However, I recommend placing the baked espresso brownies into the freezer before you cut into them.
Sometimes, when freezing sliced brownie pieces, they can dry out. As a whole baked brownie that’s not cut into, it won’t face that problem.
To thaw, simply let it rest at room temperature for a few hours before cutting into pieces.
How do I know when it’s done baking?
When done baking, the edges of the brownies should seem crisp and pulling away from the sides of the dish.
The best method to use for checking doneness is the toothpick method. Simply press a toothpick into the center of the brownies, and see if it comes out clean or not. If it has a little melted chocolate from a chocolate chip, that’s ok! It just shouldn’t have any batter on it.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Don’t add the chocolate chips to the batter when it’s too warm. If you do, the chocolate chips will most likely melt and not hold their shape.
- For richer flavor, use espresso instead of coffee.
- Dark brown chocolate will deepen the overall flavor of the brownies more than light brown sugar.
I don’t know about you, but I’ll definitely be pairing an espresso brownie with my iced coffee tomorrow! This wonderfully dark, yet sweet dessert is one of my all time favorite brownie recipes to enjoy.
More brownie recipes we love
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 ½ cups milk chocolate chips (divided ½ cup for brownie, and 1 cup for inside of brownie)
- 1/4 cup black coffee or espresso
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- chocolate chips optional, see note
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spray an 8×8 cake pan or baking dish, or line with a piece of parchment paper, with 2 inches on each side for easy lift after baking.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter with the ½ cup of chocolate chips and the espresso or coffee. Once the butter and chocolate has melted, remove the pan from heat. Whisk in the eggs, and sugars. Gradually mix in the flour and stir until it becomes a semi-thick batter. Let the batter cool for a minute and then stir in the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips, until they are evenly mixed into the batter.
- Pour the brownie batter in the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow brownies to cool before cutting or frosting.
- I sprinkled chocolate chips on top before baking.
- There are also espresso flavored chips you can use for additional coffee flavor.