Combine the amazing flavor of two decadent desserts into one recipe with this Boston Cream Pie Cheesecake. It’s flavorful, fresh, and perfect to make for special occasions, including birthday parties and family gatherings.
Decadent Boston Cream Pie Cheesecake
Boston Cream Pie is a classic dessert that is made up of a buttery cake, custard center and a chocolate ganche topping. Now add a layer of cheesecake to that and you have one of the most decadent desserts out here! The cheesecake is sweet, fluffy, and delicious.
The recipe is perfect for those who’d like to indulge while preparing something that will satisfy their sweet tooth. If you enjoy Boston cream pie and you’re also a fan of cheesecake, follow this recipe to make the tastiest cheesecake you’ve ever tried.
Why You’ll Love this Homemade Cheesecake Recipe:
- Delicious and decadent: This recipe combines two great desserts into one amazing cheesecake. It is rich, creamy and everything a cheesecake mixed with a Boston cream pie should taste like.
- Easy directions: Although this cake takes a little work, the recipe itself is incredibly easy to follow and comes out perfectly every time. It is a great recipe to use to flex your baking skills in the kitchen.
How to make Boston Cream Pie Cheesecake
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Begin making the vanilla cake mix by following the directions on the box.
- Pour a cup of the batter on the bottom of the spring form pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, and then place on a cooling rack.
- Next, make your cheesecake batter by beating the cream cheese with the sugar.
- Add in your yogurt, vanilla, and heavy cream.
- Add in the eggs and egg yolks and beat again.
- Toss your cornstarch and salt into the bowl and blend.
- Pour your cheesecake filling batter into the springform pan on top of the cake and then place it in a large baking pan.
- Fill the large pan with enough water to reach up to 1” of the sides to make your water bath.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 90 minutes.
- After you’ve baked it, turn the heat off and set it undisturbed in the closed oven for an hour.
- Remove it from the oven after an hour and then unwrap your springform pan to let it cool.
- After it cools, you can begin preparing the pastry cream.
- Once it’s ready, pour it over the cheesecake and place it in the fridge to chill.
- Make the chocolate ganche by heating heavy cream in a pot on the stove.
- Pour it over the chocolate chips and butter in a heat safe bowl. Stir to melt the chocolate.
- Remove the cheesecake from the spring form pan and pour the ganche over top.
- Allow to chill again before serving.
At least 12 hours. This is a pretty involved recipe with homemade cheesecake, pastry cream, and chocolate ganache, and the cheesecake needs to refrigerate for a minimum of 8 hours.
Yes! This allows the cheesecake to set, thus preventing (or at least lowering) the chances that the cheesecake top cracks.
High quality dark chocolate chips (like Ghirardelli) are best for homemade ganache. You can use whatever chocolate chips you prefer, but you get the best tasting ganche with a higher quality chocolate.
Absolutely! This is a wonderful recipe to make ahead of time. Make it a day or 2 before and refrigerate it until serving.
Whether you’re making the cheesecake to eat at home with your loved ones or preparing it for a large gathering with family and friends, you can expect it to be a huge hit. One of the best part about this recipe is that it has easy to follow instructions that will leave you with a truly unique dessert.
Although this Boston cream pie cheesecake does take some time to make, it is truly worth the effort. You will never come across a dessert as decadent and delicious as this one.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- If, when you make the pastry cream, the egg yolks curdle, simply strain them out once the cream has thickened up before letting it cool. If the yolks are all curdled beyond straining, start over.
- When making the chocolate ganache, my favorite way for ease and smoothness is to use an immersion blender instead of a whisk after the heavy cream and chocolate have set long enough for the chocolate to begin to melt.
- As with other cakes, do not over stir this one as it will result in a crumbly and possibly rubbery cake. Only stir until the flour is incorporated.
- When making the cheesecake, be sure to beat the cream cheese well at the beginning to ensure that it is smooth. If, when the cheesecake batter is complete, you still have lumps, simply press them against the side of the bowl using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Do not overmix the cheesecake batter as it will add air and result in uneven baking and can cause it to crack at the end.
This Boston Cream Pie Cheesecake is, by far, one of the best variations of cheesecake you’ll ever taste. It’s flavorful and has the perfect texture, making it an excellent choice for a decadent dessert.
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Boston Cream Pie Cheesecake Recipe
For the Cake Layer Base
- Vanilla cake mix
For the Cheesecake
- 32 ounces cream cheese 4 8-ounce standard packages
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Pastry Cream
- 2 ⅓ cups milk
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons butter
For the Chocolate Ganache
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
For the Cake Layer Base
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line the bottom of a 9” springform pan with parchment paper and spray with baking spray. Mix up the vanilla cake mix per the directions on the box. Pour 1 cup of the batter into the bottom of the springform pan. Use the remaining cake batter for a cake or cupcakes. Place into the oven to bake for 10-12 minutes or until baked through. Remove from the oven and place onto a cooling rack to cool while you make the cheesecake batter.Vanilla cake mix
For the Cheesecake
- To make the cheesecake batter, place the cream cheese and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium high speed for 2 minutes to ensure the cream cheese is smooth. Add in the heavy cream, yogurt, and vanilla and beat for 30 seconds to incorporate. Add in the eggs and egg yolks and continue to beat for 30 seconds. Lastly, add in the cornstarch and salt and beat for 20 seconds to incorporate.32 ounces cream cheese, 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar, 1 ¼ cups heavy cream, ½ cup yogurt, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 3 eggs, 3 egg yolks, 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt
- Pour the batter into the springform pan on top of the cake base.
- Wrap the bottom and sides of the springform pan with tin foil to prevent any water from seeping in. Place into a larger baking pan. Fill the larger pan with enough water to come 1” up the sides of the springform pan to create a water bath. Place into the preheated oven to bake for 1 ½ hours.
- Once baked, turn the heat off and let set, undisturbed, in the closed oven for 1 hour. Once set, remove from the oven.
- Unwrap the springform pan and place onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Pastry Cream
- Once cooled, make the pastry cream. Add the milk, sugar, vanilla bean paste, and salt to a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat and whisk well until the sugar has melted. Once the sugar has melted, bring to a simmer. While the milk is coming to a simmer, in a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and cornstarch until creamy. Once the milk begins to simmer, slowly stream half of the heated milk into the egg yolk mixture. Whisk constantly while adding the milk to prevent curdling the egg yolks. Whisk the egg yolk mixture back into the milk mixture in the pan. Place back over medium low heat for 3-4 minutes to thicken, whisking constantly. Once you feel the mixture starting to thicken, whisk vigorously for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter. Transfer to a heat safe bowl to cool slightly for about 10 minutes. Pour onto the top of the cheesecake and smooth out. Place plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pastry cream and let cool completely.2 ⅓ cups milk, ⅔ cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste, ¼ teaspoon salt, 5 egg yolks, 3 ½ tablespoons cornstarch, 3 tablespoons butter
- Place the covered cheesecake into the fridge to chill for at least 8 hours.
For the Chocolate Ganache
- Once chilled, make the ganache. Heat the heavy cream in the microwave for 1 minute. Place the chocolate chips and butter in a medium sized bowl. Pour the heated heavy cream over the chocolate chips. Let set for 1 minute to allow the chocolate chips to begin melting. Stir together until smooth. Let set for 10 minutes.2 cups dark chocolate chips, 1 cup heavy cream, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Once the cheesecake has chilled, remove the plastic wrap. Gently run a butter knife around the inside edge of the springform pan to release the cheesecake. Release the springform pan and remove the sides from the cheesecake. If you would like to remove the cheesecake from the springform pan base, run a butter knife underneath of the cake layer to release it. Transfer to a cake stand or serving platter. Pour the chocolate ganache onto the top of the cheesecake and spread to the edges. Place back into the fridge for 20 minutes to allow the ganache to finish firming up. Slice and serve.
- Yogurt: Sour cream can be used in place of the yogurt.
- Flour: In the cheesecake batter only, 2 tablespoons of cornstarch may be used in place of 4 tablespoons of flour.
- Vanilla Bean Paste: Vanilla bean paste is typically found in the baking aisle at the grocery store. If you cannot find it, use 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract instead.
- Corn Syrup: Corn syrup can be left out of the ganache, however, the ganache will not have such a beautiful sheen finish.
- Storage Instructions: Store Boston Cream Pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months (this cheesecake freezes very well!).
- Freezing Instructions: I like to slice the entire cheesecake into individual slices and wrap each slice in plastic wrap really well. This makes it easy to freeze and quick to serve later on.