Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are a family favorite dessert recipe! Studded with dark chocolate chips, sweetened with brown sugar, and sprinkled with sea salt, these chewy cookie bars come together quickly and easily.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
If you love traditional chocolate chip cookies, give these chocolate chip cookie bars a try!
Easier and faster to make than cookies, there’s no individual cookie dough rolling or dough chilling required for these bars. Simply prepare the dough, press it into a baking pan, and bake. The hardest part is waiting for the cookie bars to cool!
Have fun customizing these cookie bars with your favorite kind of chocolate chips or other add-ins like raisins or sprinkles.
Why You’ll Love this Cookie Bars Recipe:
- QUICK: These cookie bars come together quickly with basic baking ingredients. The best part? No cookie dough chilling needed!
- FLAVORFUL: You’ll taste notes of warm brown sugar, sweet vanilla, and dark chocolate chips in every bite. Sprinkle the bars with sea salt as they cool for a little something extra.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Make the cookie dough.
- Press the cookie dough into a prepared baking pan.
- Bake until the bars are set in the center.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, let the bars cool, and serve.
Definitely. To bake cookies from this dough, chill the cookie dough for 30 minutes, scoop 2 tablespoons worth of cookie dough per cookie and place about 3 inches apart on a lined baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 11-14 minutes or until the edges are set.
The bars are done when a toothpick comes out clean. The edges of the bars will be set but the center may wiggle a bit.
Yes! Bake a double batch of this cookie bar recipe in a 9×13-inch baking pan at 350°F. The bars will be thicker, so the bake time will be a little bit longer – keep an eye on them as they bake.
Use your favorite! White, milk, semisweet, or mini chocolate chips work great.
Keep this chocolate chip cookie bars recipe handy when you need a last minute from-scratch dessert!
Each chocolate chip cookie bar is thick, chewy, and totally decadent.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- To prevent the cookie bars from sticking to the pan, line the baking pan with parchment paper before adding the dough. When you’re ready to serve, the bars come right out!
- For sturdy bars and clean slices, wait for the cookie bars to cool completely before cutting and serving.
What other add-ins can I use?
This is a great base cookie bar recipe! Personalize these cookie bars with up to 1 ½ cups of your favorite chopped nuts, chocolate candies, baking chips (cinnamon, espresso, mint), or sprinkles.
Do I have to line the baking pan?
To easily remove the bars from the pan and prevent the bars from sticking, I recommend lining the baking pan with parchment paper.
The next time you’re craving a chocolate chip cookie, make a batch of these chocolate chip cookie bars. They’re quick, easy, indulgent, and ultra chocolatey! What’s not to love?
If you make this recipe be sure to leave us a comment or rating. Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars Recipe
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- Sea salt flakes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8×8-inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the butter and brown sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.10 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 ¼ cups brown sugar
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.2 large eggs, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix just to combine.2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt
- Fold the chocolate chips into the cookie dough.1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- Transfer the cookie dough to the prepared pan and spread it into an even layer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cookie bars are fully set in the center.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bars to cool to room temperature in the pan. While the bars are still warm, sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Once the bars have fully cooled, slice and enjoy.Sea salt flakes